Holy Cannoli The Filling Turned To Soup...help

Decorating By sewsugarqueen Updated 31 Dec 2011 , 12:19am by melanie-1221

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 4

I was going to post this in cake disasters but since it wasn't a cake I went for general theme. So for a wedding we went to make 150 cannoli. Boss usually uses fresh ricotta and makes ahead so it sits in fridge a few days. While slightly soft it does work. Today a triple batch got made with fresh ricotta cheese. While thin I was able to work with it but in about 20 minutes it turned to soup so runny it wouldn't stay in shells.

Need to avoid this problem does ricotta have to be drained overnight to stay dry to get slightly firmer filling ( like one I can actually pipe?) Or was it tripling the recipe that causes it to go runny. I did try to add more powdered sugar but no help.

Any suggestions from people who know how to make cannoli ( my background is Irish and the other people eastern european so we are not cannoli experts)?????

3 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 4

I am Italian and make a TON of cannoli .
I do drain the ricotta overnight, that for me is the key to keeping the filling from becoming too runny. I have never had a problem with mixing more than 1 batch at a time. Sounds like you may you have had too much moisture in your ricotta. I have had this happen before in a rush and was able to save it by making a batch of whipped cream and folding it into the ricotta. icon_biggrin.gif

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 12:16am
post #3 of 4

thanks so much melanie..... will try the whipped cream next time it is too wet... just have to convince boss to let cheese dry. love the taste of the filling just need to get it right.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 12:19am
post #4 of 4

Your welcome! To get the moisture out I wrap in cheese cloth, set in a strainer, then place the strainer over a large pot and stick it in the fridge overnight...works like a charm thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%