Boxed Cake Mixes--Do You Buy From Grocery Stores?

Decorating By lynn780 Updated 30 Dec 2011 , 7:13pm by SuzyNoQ

lynn780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn780 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 6

For those who use boxed cake mixes, I was wondering to you just buy them from the grocery store or do you have a special place that sells them?

5 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 6

Since I only make some of my cakes from boxed mixes (I used to be a from-scratch purist, but I'm now a WASC convert), I just get the mixes at the grocery store. However, sometimes I use commercial cake mixes (the ones they supply to bakeries) from Puratos. Here in Mexico they sell them in 25 kilo (55 lb.)sacks, but fortunately I've found a retailer who will sell me whatever amount I want. But surprisingly, they aren't much cheaper than Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines from WalMart.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 6

I wait until they go on sale at the grocery stores and then I have the manager order me in about 6 cases..There is usually no limit.I then buy some from the shelves which usually are quite empty anyways because they are on sale and then go to CS for a raincheck.When I run out again I have the manager order another 6 cases and use the raincheck.I never pay more than $1.25 or $1.50 as that is the cheapest you will get them here..Once in a very blue moon they will go on for 10/$10.00 but they limit you to 10 flavors combined so that is no help.I will buy the 10 I am allowed but can't be bothered to go in and out and in and out..too much time and hassle.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 6

My local grocery store has the store brand on sale about once a month for $.69 with no limit. Since I never make a straight mix cake, it doesn't matter that they're not Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker or whatever.

lynn780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn780 Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for the answers. I was thinking that I would get them from the grocery stores when they are on sale.

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 6

I usually buy them when they are on sale uless I need a specific flavor that I am out of, the last time I bought some I had a coupon for 10$ for 10 mixes if I spent an additonal 10$

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%