Blue Buttercream?

Decorating By SweetsbySouthernBelle Updated 22 Dec 2011 , 9:09pm by Herekittykitty

SweetsbySouthernBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbySouthernBelle Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

On Saturday, I attempted to make my fiance (who I've affectionately nicknamed Jersey) a two tier birthday cake for his 30th birthday party. He's a Yankees and NY Giants fan, so I had intended to make the bottom tier white with blue stripes as a play on the Yankees' jersey and the top tier blue with white letters as a play on the Giants' jersey. I had made all of the tiers, torted them, and filled them, and I had even frosted the bottom tier with the white SMBC. I took about 2/3rd of the leftover buttercream and added the "Royal Blue" AmeriColor gel food coloring. To my HORROR, it turned it purple. I added more. It became deeper purple. I added Wilton "Royal Blue." Still more purple. I know that the colors weren't mislabled b/c they were turning my hands a rather pretty blue. I understand that the butter in the buttercream must have had something to do with it. However, I know I've made blue SMBC a few months back.

So, my question to all you seasoned veterans is how do I consistently make blue buttercream when I need it? And what did I do wrong this time?

Thank you all,
Sherry

2 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 3

For the blue in the Yankees uniform I would use the americolor navy blue. Mix it up, then let it set overnight and it will darken about two shades. The royal blues have a pinkish tint in them which is why they are turning purple as they darken.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 3

Can't say as I have ever had that happen. I do agree with Bob and letting it sit or using Navy. It may turn to blue over time. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%