Textured Rolling Pins Etc

Decorating By dollyandme Updated 26 Dec 2011 , 8:32pm by tracey6277

dollyandme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dollyandme Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 3:02am
post #1 of 6

Hi
I am thinking of getting a couple of these--can anyone give the pros/cons of the use of these such as ease, clean up, etc. Also what would be some alternatives?

Thanks

5 replies
escaliba1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
escaliba1234 Posted 26 Dec 2011 , 4:42am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyandme

Hi
I am thinking of getting a couple of these--can anyone give the pros/cons of the use of these such as ease, clean up, etc. Also what would be some alternatives?

Thanks

Yes, I would like to know more about these, too.
They sell for between $40 and $50 AUD here; a lot of money for me.
Would welcome any input from users.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 26 Dec 2011 , 6:22am
post #3 of 6

I have a polka dot rolling pin. I dust it with cornstarch before rolling it over fondant or gum paste and have no trouble with it sticking to the pin and clean up is a breeze.
The only problem with my 8 inch pin is that it is only good on smaller pieces like a length ribbon. On bigger pieces like a six inch round circle for example, I can't seem to push down evenly enough to get uniform dots, so I am wondering if anyone has solved this problem? icon_smile.gif

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 26 Dec 2011 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 6

Wilton makes pins with a variety of designs. Haven't measured them but I'd say they are 12 in long. Instead of rolling, you press the pin into fondant, that is already rolled; rolling will stretch the piece. I love designs as opposed to plain flat fondant. Clean-up isn't an issue and they are about $20 and of course if you use a coupon . . .

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Dec 2011 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaK

Wilton makes pins with a variety of designs. Haven't measured them but I'd say they are 12 in long. Instead of rolling, you press the pin into fondant, that is already rolled; rolling will stretch the piece. I love designs as opposed to plain flat fondant. Clean-up isn't an issue and they are about $20 and of course if you use a coupon . . .

Are they something new? The only one I've ever seen by Wilton was the purple one with the spirals (I use that one a lot). It would be great if they were making some more patterns.

tracey6277 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey6277 Posted 26 Dec 2011 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 6

i have a number of these (im in the UK) here the prices vary greatly from place to place and also online. I love them, I find the larger ones easier to use than the smaller ones i have. It takes practice getting a even roll (abit like everything with caking!!) but they give stunnng results whatever the siza and stape of cake. Regarding clean up i find them no different to normal rolling pins - just wash in hot soapy water. Ive never had a issue with them sticking and i would advise to roll out the fondant a couple of mm thicker before you texture it.

I would recommend them to anyone. Its expensive to start with but you will never have to replace them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%