Refrigerating Whipped Ganache

Decorating By dvuong Updated 19 Dec 2011 , 11:15pm by dvuong

dvuong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dvuong Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before but I didn't find any answers while doing a search.

I'm making a chocolate cake with whipped ganache for Christmas Eve. Because I'm going to be busy and pressed for time to complete this cake, I would like to prepare as much in advance as possible. I was wondering if it was okay to refrigerate whipped ganache for 3-4 days or refrigerate ganache for 3-4 days and then whip right before use.

I know ganache gets really hard if put in the fridge for too long so I don't want to ruin any and have to chop up more chocolate!

Thanks for all the advice and tips!

4 replies
pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 5

I have whipped ganache in my fridge right now.. it is hard and stiff now but I usually warm it up a bit in the microwave so it softens and use it. Works fine all the time! HTH!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 5

You can also freeze it. I don't usually whip my ganache but I freeze ganache all the time and then just bring it back to temp. I especially like this with a 1 to 1 ratio because if I bring it back to temp on the counter (not the microwave) it's a great piping consistency.

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 5

I use the 1:1 ratio too - great for piping as sillywabitz said...

I luv ur name sillywabitz! LOL!!

dvuong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dvuong Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the tips! So it sounds like I will be able to refrigerate it or freeze it. If I keep it as a ganache, do I need to let it warm to room temp before whipping or whip when chilled? I'm hearing different things from different sources. Some say it needs to be really cold otherwise it will curdle and some say to whip at room temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%