Has Anyone Tried Covering A Cake With Poured Fondant?

Decorating By sugarstorm Updated 22 Dec 2011 , 4:06am by sugarstorm

sugarstorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarstorm Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 4:43am
post #1 of 5

Does it have the same smooth finish?

4 replies
tillash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tillash Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 9:21am
post #2 of 5

hi there
unless you get the pour perfect it will have that rippled effect. The first cake i made (only done 5) i made my own fondant to pour as i don't like the flavour generally, so i made white chocolate pouring fondant, tasted yum, went lovely and shiny but i have never done it again, too easy to roll and smooth on, and then shine !!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 11:29am
post #3 of 5

I have used poured fondant on petit fours (which are about 1 1/4" square) and it is fine. However, I would never attempt to use poured fondant on entire cake. It is entirely too sweet. I catered a wedding one time (prior to making cakes.) The bride wanted petit fours. A local bakery said they could make them. They used a regular white cake. Cut them in large 3" x 3" pieces and used poured fondant. They were the nastiest tasting cakes that I have ever had. No one ate them. I felt sorry for the bride for wasting all that money.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 5

Yes I have done it, at a customer's insistence. They also wanted it tinted orange, as I remember.

My advice, don't do it. It's incredibly difficult, you waste enormous amounts of poured fondant, you have to do at least two pours and it does NOT have a smooth surface, plus it tastes not-so-good, too sweet as the PP said.

However, my customer loved it. Go figure.

sugarstorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarstorm Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 4:06am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for the advice! I will take it, and steer clear! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%