Large Topsy Turvy Cake Help

Decorating By radtech Updated 16 Dec 2011 , 7:49pm by dollyandme

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering what the largest topsy turvy cake everyone has made. I have been asked to make a friend's topsy turvy wedding cake but I am a little intimited making a large one. I have only made a small 2 tier so the thought of a larger one-with larger tiers scare me. Does anyone have any suggestions?
She is having 210 guests and did say that it was ok to make sheet cakes also. I am just not sure what size would be good for a decent size wedding cake.

6 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 7

I have seen numerous people do large topsy turvy cakes on here. For me there are a couple of rules if for doing a large TT.

1) NO SLIPPERY FILLINGS..only buttercream or ganache
2) Cover the cakes in ganache and then fondant. This makes a super stable cake.
3) Make sure the difference in diameter between the tiers is at least 3 inches..preferably 4...again this helps with stability.
4) Use SPS for the support system. But that's my rule for all tiered cakes.

According to the Wilton wedding chart a for round cakes a 6-9-12-16 inch would yield 200 servings. If you do TT with 3 layers of cake per tier, you can decide how many portions that would give you extra. Also make sure your oven can handle the larger pan sizes.

Truly this is all about the support system so I re-iterate...ganache under the fondant and good support system. I would recommend you do a test run for at least a 3 tier TT before you do one for a wedding to make sure you're comfortable with your support system and technique.

dollyandme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dollyandme Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 7

Hi

I am new to the forums and making my first attempt at a TT cake. Does one always use the supports? What is the SPS brand referenced in the list to follow..Sorry newbie at a tier cake is a big move. My cake pans are 6, 8 and 10 that are already shaped into the TT (not sure if the best route to do it but being a home baker seemed like a good idea at the time). Not sure if will do a 2 or 3 layer yet. Also in terms of the ganache, does any one have a simple, easy recipe to share? I am not big on eating fondant (although some do eat it) but do enjoy a great filling/frosting. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 7

I agree 100%. I did all of these things for the last one I did (a 4 tier) and everything went perfectly. I even carried it in the car on my lap for a 30 minute drive and it didn't budge. Follow those steps and you'll be golden icon_wink.gif

Karen

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 7
susie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susie1 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for the tutorial on ganache. Now, I think I'll try making a topsy turvy cake. Good luck Radtech on your large topsy turvy cake.

dollyandme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dollyandme Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you for the links...looks easy enough. Will let you know how things turn out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%