Stacked Round Cakes Off-Centered But Straight On One Side?

Decorating By bakerfairy Updated 17 Dec 2011 , 10:03pm by KoryAK

bakerfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerfairy Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 5:01am
post #1 of 7

Has anyone ever stacked round cakes in a way that they weren't centered perfectly on top of each other, but rather stacked so that all of the cakes together created a straight edge on one side? I have attached a photo of a cake that has this kind of design. The cake I will be doing will be 4 or 5 tiers, and the customer wants them so that the edges are aligned. Does anyone have any tips? Can this be done the same way as a centered cake?
LL

6 replies
mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 5:45am
post #2 of 7

I've never done this but I assume there shouldn't be a problem provided you are using the right support system.

Since the weight if the cake above will be supported by [ ______________ ] (fill in the support system here), not by the cake itself below it, as long as your supports are excellent, it should hold up fine.

The thing to be cautious of is transporting it, and I mean, from your counter to your vehicle, and from your vehicle to the table at the venue (if your are going to carry it with your hands (together with someone else as a helper), as your have to cater for the heavier side of the cake.

My 2 cents.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 5:58am
post #3 of 7

I have never done it, but like the previous post said, as long as it is supported correctly it would be fine, but don't go too high. And be careful in transporting. If you look closely at the cake in the photo it looks like it is starting to cave in a little on the bottom teir. Support with SPS!!!!

exquisitecakesbydonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
exquisitecakesbydonna Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 6:29am
post #4 of 7

I wish I had used SPS because rowels alone didn't cut it and my bottom tier collapsed during transport. What a nightmare!

bakerfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerfairy Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for your tips! What is SPS?? I usually use wooden dowels and go overboard with those as it is for a regular cake. I plan on bringing the tiers to the venue separately and then stacking them when I'm there, so transportation won't be an issue. The cake will be 5 tiers so it will be quite high, but I assume that as long as I am doweling the edges of every cake really well, it should hold up the same as if it was centrally stacked?? icon_confused.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 7

I've done a cake like this and the only caution I have is to make sure you don't transport it fully stacked because with all the weight to one side, that side is more than likely going to tip over - but it looks like you have a good handle on it. I'm pretty spoiled, my husband cuts my boards for me out of particle board that's about 3/4ths of an inch thick then he drills a hole in the center and uses wood glue to secure the central wooden dowel into the hole and sharpens the upper end. Next I cut out all of my cake tier plates from foamcore board exactly the size of the cake I'm putting on it and use a see through measuring mat to find the exact center. I then use an Exacto knife to cut out a one inch hole in the center of each. I thread each cake on it's own foamcore down over the sharpened dowel then dowel it with double heavy straws before adding the next layer. My cakes don't dare to move icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 7

I have done that setup many times (although for god's sake do NOT put it on a pedestal stand as the pic shows!) and use all my standard practices (regular, uncovered cardboards under each cake, drinking straws for support, center dowel, delivery fully assembled and chilled). It's no problem icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%