Cake In A Jar, And Poundcake Help!!

Decorating By kellyg Updated 17 Dec 2011 , 3:03am by lrlt2000

kellyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyg Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 8

I was wondering if anyone has done poundcake in a jar?? I would like to give some of these to some coworkers, and am not sure how to go about doing them!

What size jars are best? I have basic directions for it, but it doesn't give the size jars to use!
Any tips would be appreciated!

Also, I have made several poundcakes using my Grandmothers reicpe. EVERY SINGLE time I make one, it comes out light and almost fluffy, NOT heavy like poundcake should be. I can not for the life of me figure out why! My Mother uses the same recipe, and hers always comes out great! I don't over mix it, and even had my Mom tell me step by step what she does. It tastes great, just doesn't have poundcake texture. What am I doing wrong??

Thanks so much!

7 replies
stresseddesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stresseddesserts Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 8

You can use 1/2 pint jars for smaller (1cup) and I like the 1 pint jars better. I usually put about 2 cupcakes in those.. As for pound cake, I'm not sure what your doing, but the sugar & butter need to be creamed well, then adding eggs a little at a time, mixing well after each..

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 8

Most of the research I've done shows you most often use pint sized jars, but I have found sites that use the half-pints. That's about one cupcake.

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 8

Here's my photo tutorial on making cupcakes in a jar

http://www.easy-cake-decorating.com/cupcakes-in-a-jar.html

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

kellyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyg Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you so much!!

I am going to attempt these this weekend!! Hopefully they turn out Ok!!

I cream the sugar/butter first, and then add 1 egg at a time. I followed my Mom's directions, and that darn cake still didn't have "pound cake" consistency!

Maybe pound cake just isn't my thing! LOL!

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 12:43am
post #6 of 8

Actual Recipe?

lrlt2000 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 2:53am
post #7 of 8

kellyg: I just went through lots of trial and error on cake jars! Here's the post: http://CakeCentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7243949#7243949

PM me if you want any suggestions or insight icon_smile.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 3:03am
post #8 of 8

Also, I found this link somewhere on CC:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4229760

The directions are very specific on mixing, for example. Maybe compare what is described there with what you do and see how they differ? I've only just started trying scratch baking, so I'm not more help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%