Box Cake Mix Vs. Scratch Cake Mix?

Baking By ashleyluvscake21 Updated 14 Dec 2011 , 5:59am by scp1127

ashleyluvscake21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyluvscake21 Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 6

i wondering i seen a post on peoples clients liking box cake mix better then scratch cake mix.. so what do yall think?

5 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 6

I have found a lot of my clients prefer my doctored up boxed cake mixes. I think it's just due to familiarity and that is what they are used to cake tasting like as many people use box mixes at home.

My scratch cakes don't get complaints, but they do differ in flavor and texture and may not be sweet enough for some. When I make a cake using my scratch recipes I usually use a sweeter filling to compensate.

I do find that my doctored boxed cake mix flavors are my most requested though if that is any indication...

idreamincupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idreamincupcakes Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 6

I interchange my wasc and scratch mades depending on cake needs and no one noticed! I did my sisters wedding on june 4th, and my daughter's 2 nd birthday 2 weeks later and I still got the same rave reviews icon_smile.gif But I took months on each scratch to achieve that. With the right recipes, It won't matter.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 6

I find that very few people can tell I start with a mix, although by the time I'm through with them, there's very little "mix" left. Scratch or mix - - it doesn't matter. Do what works for you and your customers. Contrary to a lot of opinions, mix cakes aren't inferior or sub-par. And they're not an indication of a lazy baker. I also do cakes from scratch - - it depends on the cake, the time-frame and the situation. icon_smile.gif

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 5:36am
post #5 of 6

I make most of my cakes from scratch but have also used a box mix quite a few times and added a few extra ingredients. Everybody has always said they're delicious and would never be able to tell the difference! To be honest, some of the best tasting cakes I've made have come from a box and then I've doctored them up... icon_wink.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 5:59am
post #6 of 6

A box mix is better than a bad or mediocre scratch cake. A great scratch cake will never be compared to a box mix. Scratch cakes are not less sweet, denser, drier any of the other excuses that people use to explain scratch cakes. A great scratch cake is perfectly balanced, and can be anything from dense to light as air, from sweet to less sweet, and anything the baker chooses to make, but it is never dry. That being said, it takes great skill to create a great scratch cake. If a baker is not at that level in baking, it is better to offer a box mix.

edited for typo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%