Can I Use Wilton Candy Melts For Ganache?

Decorating By Lovelyladylibra Updated 16 Dec 2011 , 3:03am by metria

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 11

Well basically what the title says, can I use candy melts for ganache, particularity the white mint ones. thanks icon_smile.gif

10 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 11

I suppose you could use them to make a ganache like substance. But real ganache is made with CHOCOLATE!!! icon_lol.gif

Try it out and let us know.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 11

I personally would not do it. The Candy Melts have a waxy texture and I personally don't like them. Why don't you go buy some Lindt white chocolate and add some peppermint oil or extract to it? Here is more reading:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ganache.html

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 11

I think it may depend what you're using the ganache for. Candy melts are a lot softer than chocolate so you would need a lot less cream. If you are looking at frosting a cupcake for that perfect smooth top I would probably say OK but if you were using it say under fondant I would probably say no. Candy melts are super sweet and that may be too much of that flavor.

I was going to suggest that you flavor the candy melts but since you're using the mint ones that's probably not necessary.

For anyone interested I find adding orange or lemon oil to white chocolate or white candy melts helps cut the sweetness.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 11

That would NOT be ganache. I don't know what it would be, but NOTganache. That doesn't even sound right to me. icon_sad.gif

FrancescaTranslator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrancescaTranslator Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 11

I tried once and the result was soooo awful I swore I'd never do that again!!!
The ganache had a horribly "grainy" consistency and it just didn't have the right creamy texture...

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 5:12am
post #7 of 11

Ohh okay thanks guys. I think Ill just get the white chocolate and add mint flavoring. The ganache will be for a filling for a mint chocolate chip cake.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 11

i recently made a poor man's ganache with white almond bark (aka candy coating). i used the 3:1 ratio of candy to cream.

no, it's not ganache ... very similar texture and usability, but tastes like candy coating. i'd use it again if i was not concerned with taste.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 12:45am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

i recently made a poor man's ganache with white almond bark (aka candy coating). i used the 3:1 ratio of candy to cream.

no, it's not ganache ... very similar texture and usability, but tastes like candy coating. i'd use it again if i was not concerned with taste.

"i would use it again if i was not concerned with taste" Lol! That is so funny! I can't imagine you not being concerned with taste!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 1:16am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

"i would use it again if i was not concerned with taste" Lol! That is so funny! I can't imagine you not being concerned with taste!

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif What an excellent point! Above any decorating, I am absolutely concerned with TASTE!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 3:03am
post #11 of 11

ha! yes, i see that what i said does sound weird! but sometimes i need something like that for competition or display purposes only. no need to waste money on the good tasting stuff if no one is going to eat it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%