Getting Holes In Cake ?

Baking By mommynana Updated 12 Dec 2011 , 11:50pm by mommynana

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 5

Whats causing it, After my cake is baked, And everything is looks fine When its all done, But When I go cut it There has been holes in it, And I`ve never seen it before, Something I`m doing wrong?

4 replies
bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 5

too much air maybe??

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 5

http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/supermoist-cakes/faq

Q. What causes holes and tunnels in a cake?
A. It's okay if your cake has some holes. They're caused by leavening bubbles that didn't escape before the top crust of the cake formed. However, to minimize holes and tunnels:
Add enough liquid. Be sure to follow the directions on the package and measure carefully. To measure liquid, place a liquid measuring cup on your counter, pour in the liquid, bend down and check the amount at eye level.
Don't overbeat the batter. Double-check the beating time in the package directions, and use low or medium speed on your standard or portable mixer. If you're beating the batter by hand, beat 150 strokes per minuteit's okay to rest now and then!
Place the oven rack in the middle position in the oven.
Don't bake your cake too long. Use the test for doneness given on the package directions and recheck the baking time. Also, make sure your oven isnt too hot. To check your oven accuracy, use an oven thermometer.

ladyren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyren Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 5

I was always taught to "burp" the cake, in order to limit the amount of air bubbles before baking. I gently swat the bottom of the cake pan for a few minutes to help air bubbles rise to the surface and break. This helps cut down on any holes in the cake.

HTH!

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 5

Ladyren, I do that all the time, I bang the hell out of the pan before it goes in the oven.

Cakeyouverymuch, Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%