How Do I Make The Front Of The Anxeli Xmas Eve Cake?

Decorating By mo63 Updated 11 Dec 2011 , 5:46pm by mo63

mo63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo63 Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 10:20am
post #1 of 11

I want to make Anxelis christmas eve cake and I dont know how to make the windows etc. I dont want to use MMF, will i be able to use ready ice fondant and add CMC powder to it? And if so how much cmc and do I need to leave it to dry out for long.

I have just made gingerbread as I thought this would be good but unfortunately when it was cooked it just went too "puffy" if you understand that!! Obviously I need it to be flat and neat.

Please help me quickly. icon_sad.gif

10 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo63 Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 11

I already have the tutoriol, but as I said , I dont want to use MMF, im looking for another way of making the front.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 11

Fondant is fondant. You should be able to use yours with the CMC. Your best bet would be to test it with a small batch and see if it works for your purposes.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 11

Are you saying that you don't want to use MMF but that you want to use ready made fondant?

The other poster is right though... fondant is fondant and you just add CMC until you think it's right. the more you add the quicker it will set up. There isn't an exact science to it really. Even just plain fondant would set up eventually (well maybe not fondariffic... LOL).

If you wanted to use gingerbread, you could bake it in a larger sheet and then the minute you take it from the oven use a cutter to cut out your shapes. This will give you nice uniform edges. The gingerbread might go soft on you though if it is touching buttercream.

mo63 Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 6:02am
post #6 of 11

Yes, im sorry, I probably didnt make myself very clear. As the front of the house needs to stand upright I needed a fondant that was strong. I ended up adding the CMC to my fondant to strengthen it, and upto now, fingers crossed, it seems to be working.

I didnt want to use MMF as i'v never worked with it before.

Thankyou all for your advice.

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 11

Cmc? Not sure all the acronyms... But I recently went from purchased to mmf and I will never go back... Theres so much more you can do with it, flavoring and the whole mixing the color in while it's making is a blessing. If what was posted by cakeyouverymuch is what your going for my suggestion won't be any help... But I was gonna say to try fruit roll ups lol... But those are white so I'm no help. Good luck

mo63 Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 7:16am
post #8 of 11

CMC is similar to Tylose powder, think it is just a cheaper alternative.

Thank you though for your suggestions. thumbs_up.gif

Honeybees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeybees Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 9:13am
post #9 of 11

I just looked at the tutorial on the cake, it looks beautiful! I hope it turns out well for you.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 11

Tylose is CMC (which stands for carboxymethyl cellulose). It's a plant derived gumming agent/thickener that makes your fondant dry harder and quicker.

mo63 Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees

I just looked at the tutorial on the cake, it looks beautiful! I hope it turns out well for you.

Thank you. I've been planning to give it a try since I came across it in the summer, its fab isnt it. Just hope I can do it justice. I will post a picture when I complete it icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%