Pricing Mini Cupcakes

Business By pmarks0 Updated 7 Dec 2011 , 9:21pm by pmarks0

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 5

I've been looking on here trying to find something about what others are charging for mini cupcakes. I charge $2.50 for a basic swirl, unfilled cupcake, $2.75-3.00 for a filled, depending on the type of filling. I've not had to do anything with a fondant accent or covered in fondant yet, but I guess I'd probably go $3,25 and $4,00 respectively.

However, I have been asked to provide mini cupcakes for my company christmas party next week. I've had some great ideas from others regarding designs, but I'm stumped on pricing. Do you consider that 2 minis = 1 regular size or would it be more like 3? I'm just wondering if $1 each is reasonable, or if $1.25 is more along the lines.

They will just have a basic swirl on them. And I may put a small chocolate or royal snowflake on for decor. I also have mini cookie cutters in shapes of christmas tree, snowman and gingerbread man that I was considering in either fondant, or as a mini cookie.

Ideas? (sorry for the rambling)

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 5

A mini-cupcake is typically about a third the size of a regular cupcake, but we sell minis for half the price of regular cupcakes.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 5

Depends on the size of your cupcake and what papers you use. There is a cupcake shop here that sells minis for a buck a piece, but he uses bon bon sized mini cupcake wrappers. They are one bite (and disgusting).

My minis are 1/2 the size of my regular cupcakes. I know this because I weigh my batter. My regular cupcakes have 1.6 oz batter, my minis have .8. I do charge extra for minis because they are a pain in the butt and packaging is more expensive. And they are a pain in the butt.

Jen

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I do charge extra for minis because they are a pain in the butt and packaging is more expensive. And they are a pain in the butt.

I know I am across the pond but I agree with Jen. My regular cupcakes (swirl and sprinkle) are 2.50, my minis are 1.50. For 24 minis vs. a dozen regulars, you have to use twice as many arm movements to scoop, use more papers, they take longer to put in the box, swirl 24 times i/o 12... that's why I don't charge half. And they are 1/3 the size of my regulars.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone. All very helpful information. I was leaning towards $1.25 for them on this particular order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%