Help... Lumpy Shinny Fondant

Decorating By cristi1015 Updated 8 Dec 2011 , 2:30am by DeniseNH

cristi1015 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cristi1015 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 5

I use marshmallow fondant that I make myself and it always comes out with lumps and shinny. I do refrigerate usually. I dont know if I am not using enough powdered sugar or it is just the marshmallow fondant thing. but if any one has any idea it would help. you can see an example... http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2197715

4 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 5

It looks like the lumpy is a reflection of what's underneath the fondant. Every imperfection in the icing will show through the fondant. For the shiny, how humid is your climate? Are you refrigerating it?

cristi1015 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cristi1015 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 5

i live in florida so it is very humid and yes i do put it in the fridge. i make it days in advance so i thought it had to be cold

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 1:59am
post #4 of 5

I agree with cheatize and think that part of the problem might be that your crumb coating isn't quite smooth. I usually smooth my crumb coating with viva towels. I haven't used mmf in quite a while (I use Michelle Foster's Fondant) but am wondering if maybe there could be some powdered sugar that doesn't get fully incorporated. I also would not recommend putting your cake in the refrigerator because of the humidity. Cover your cake a couple days ahead of time and then put them in a cake box or cake carrier to store. They will be fine and stay fresh. Good luck!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 2:30am
post #5 of 5

I agree with the other posters, your cake or icing under the fondant is lumpy. Another thing to try with MMF is to roll it out once then ball it up and roll it out again. Then finally, take a smoother and really press out any remaining imperfections. If the smoother sticks, put a very thin dusting of powdered sugar on it then smooth again. If your icing is smooth and the fondant is smooth - you'll end up with a beautiful cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%