Airbrush Help Please!!!!

Decorating By cakelady2266 Updated 6 Jan 2012 , 4:54am by gidgetdoescakes

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 2:11am
post #1 of 11

I has asked a while back about painting a buttercream iced cake gold with edible canned spray paint. Most people suggested airbrushing instead. At the time I didn't have a airbrush machine but I have since inherited one from a closing bakery. I was playing around with it trying to get a feel for it and I have some questions.

I used AmeriColor airbrush color in it and it went on smooth but it sort of puddled up and was a little streaky after it sat on the icing for a few minutes. Then I mixed up some luster dust and vodka and I went on smooth as silk and didn't puddle. So my questions.....is it okay to use the luster dust/vodka mix or will that mess up the machine? And does either one dry at all and if so how long should it take? I also don't have any instructions so I know nothing about the clean up.

Thanks

10 replies
gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 6:31am
post #2 of 11

I thought I saw someone on food network challenge use luster dust mixed with vodka in an airbrush..I always wondered if I saw it right ...hope someione answers with knowledge....I am going to try it this Christmas I think either way hehe

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 11

Oh, I thought you're suppose to use paints(eatable or course) that are especially for an airbrush system...am I wrong?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 11

The vodka/dust mixture will work in an airbrush, BUT......
I have heard it eventually will damage the brush. Can't remember now how icon_sad.gif I *think* it pits the needle.

gidgetdoescakes Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 5:13am
post #5 of 11

yes I use food coloring especially for airbrushing

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 5:54am
post #6 of 11

I found a different brand of airbrush color that worked much better. I was worried about the luster dust/vodka mix damaging the machine. But I was more worried about the finish I was getting from the Americolor. So I'm glad I found this other brand.

The vodka/dust mix would probably be okay if you only needed a small amount and didn't do it that way often. I think as long as you clean it quickly and well it would be okay. But I didn't think I could airbrush a 6, 8,10,12,and 14 that way. I was afraid I would get about 1/3 of the way and the machine would clog up or die.

frankcastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankcastle Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 6:24am
post #7 of 11

hi everyone i am new here and would be happy to share among this community.

gidgetdoescakes Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 6:07am
post #8 of 11

yes I wouldnt want to do it a lot, and I always clean my airbrush needle with vodka to keep it clean Im hoping thats not ruining the thing

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 7:04am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Oh, I thought you're suppose to use paints(eatable or course) that are especially for an airbrush system...am I wrong?

Americolor makes a coloring especially for the airbrush called Amerimist.

I use luster dust/vodka mixture in my airbrush all the time and have never had any problems. I keep a clean bowl and a squirt bottle full of hot water at my work station to rinse the gun as soon as I am done. Just squirt hot water in the gun and spray into the clean bowl until you no longer see any dust coming out.

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 6:46am
post #10 of 11

Luster dust and vodka will NOT "damage" an airbrush. What can happen is a very bad clog stemming from the needle/nozzle size being smaller than the luster flake size, too thick a mix or too lumpy a mix. You can so badly impact the fluid nozzle that a very tedious cleaning will be required.

DIY mixing of airbrush colors is best to try AFTER you're familiar with an airbrush. It is much easier to learn with pearls and lusters designed specifically for airbrush.

PS - Vodka or alcohol will not harm your airbrush. Just keep it to the fluid path. You do NOT want alcohol (or any liquid) getting in contact with the air intake portion of the airbrush. There are o-rings used in this part of the airbrush that were not intended to be in contact with fluids. Alcohol can dry out these rings and may need a very light bit of lube to restore a smooth action.

gidgetdoescakes Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 4:54am
post #11 of 11

hey, great info thanks so much icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%