Refrigerating A Cake With Smbc

Decorating By momg9 Updated 6 Dec 2011 , 1:40pm by momg9

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 5

I normally do not refrigerate my cakes. Recently I iced a cake in smbc that had a perishable filling, so I refrigerated it. When it came to room temperature the smbc had a weird texture. I know when I bring a bowl to room temp, I have to mix it a little to get it right again, so how do you all deal with it on a cake? Was that a normal thing or was my smbc not right?

Thank you

4 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 5

All of my cakes are iced with SMBC and they are all refrigerated. I've never had a problem with consistency after rewarming.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 5

My favorite icing ever! Never had a problem either. Of course, once it's on a cake, the only thing I'm doing to the icing is slicing thru it while I'm cutting the cake. And the consistency is always as it should be.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 12:49am
post #4 of 5

I use SMBC exclusively and have never had a problem after it has come to room temperature. It sounds like you may have had a problem with the recipe. I remember once I did not let my egg whites whip up to a stiff-enough consistency and that created some stability problems. Perhaps that was it?

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 5

Ok, thanks everyone. It must be me. Back to the test kitchen. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%