Dummy Cake..... ???

Decorating By sharkbait1006 Updated 6 Dec 2011 , 9:02pm by AZCouture

sharkbait1006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharkbait1006 Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 11:41am
post #1 of 11

i see these wonderful cakes that look like a beehive BUT...
how do i make one dummy cake out of Styrofoam and covered in fondant to look like a beehive??

need info like what sizes of discs do i use do i need to carve any of them? how do i fix it ??
any help would be great thanks.

10 replies
sharkbait1006 Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 11

well i guess i cant get any help from anyone here icon_sad.gif

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 11

Snarkbait...I mean sharkbait, I would just mold it out of RKT. Unless you really want to carve and shape a hunk of styrofoam. icon_wink.gif

sharkbait1006 Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 11

hmmm, first of all what is rkt?? second of all i kinda figured i would be carving if maybe you could re read my post.... i was wondering if anyone here could HELP if they know of sizes that might help me make one, that would sit on a 10 inch cake board.???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

Snarkbait...I mean sharkbait, I would just mold it out of RKT. Unless you really want to carve and shape a hunk of styrofoam. icon_wink.gif

AZCouture Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait1006

i see these wonderful cakes that look like a beehive BUT...
how do i make one dummy cake out of Styrofoam and covered in fondant to look like a beehive??

You carve the dummy to look like a beehive. Use a knife, a hot knife maybe.

Quote:

need info like what sizes of discs do i use do i need to carve any of them? how do i fix it ??
any help would be great thanks.

You use the sizes appropriate to your project.

AZCouture Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 11

Is any of it going to be a real cake at all?

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 12:41am
post #7 of 11

There are cake dummy places you can write away to that would be happy to create the tiers needed for your dummy project AND round off the top edges for you but I would just go to your local craft store and purchase a flat sheet of styrofoam and carve away. For a 10" board you'd probably start out with a 9" then 7" - 6" - 5" and 4" layers that are no more than 1-1/2" to 2" thick. Hope this helps.

sharkbait1006 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 1:19am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

There are cake dummy places you can write away to that would be happy to create the tiers needed for your dummy project AND round off the top edges for you but I would just go to your local craft store and purchase a flat sheet of styrofoam and carve away. For a 10" board you'd probably start out with a 9" then 7" - 6" - 5" and 4" layers that are no more than 1-1/2" to 2" thick. Hope this helps.

FINALLY DeniseNH thank you for finally being nice and giving me an answer and being helpful and not like ////////

all i asked was a question and never thought i would get these kind of responses i did get some styrofoam sheets to carve out and yes i DO know how to carve things, im act. pretty more crafty then some of you. icon_cool.gif

my plan is to carve out 4 sheets and a half ball to make a beehive and then to cover in fondant so i can place some marshmallow pops around the beehive along with some cupcakes on a cupcake stand.

all i wanted was a lil bit of help. but i guess i was wrong. icon_sad.gif

once i finish this i plan on posting pix to show and i will be nice enough to give others helpful advice. thumbs_up.gif

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 7:15am
post #9 of 11
Quote:

well i guess i cant get any help from anyone here icon_sad.gif

I believe this would be the reason you were not getting helpful responses. Just because your posting has been viewed a number of times does not mean that those that read it had any helpful advice to offer. I know I read your posting when I was reading through the newest posts but wouldn't know how to advise using dummies for that particular shape. Posting impolite comments when you haven't received replies doesn't exactly make people want to offer advice.

sharkbait1006 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 11:35am
post #10 of 11

posting impolite responses wasnt my intention but getting impolite response will be my intention icon_confused.gif
i have figured this out on my own but thank you thumbs_up.gif

i shall really watch what i type next time

AZCouture Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 11

Lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%