Taking Cookies On A Plane

Baking By puzzlegut Updated 7 Dec 2011 , 2:04am by cookiemama2

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 5

Just before Christmas, we'll be taking a flight from Michigan to Florida. I was planning on taking some baked goods to give out as Christmas gifts. I'm just wondering what are the best ways to travel with cookies to help prevent them from being destroyed. Is it better to take them in the carry-on? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

4 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 12:20am
post #2 of 5

Several Christmas' ago we flew from NY to TN. I packed everything in bakery boxes and put the boxes into paper shopping bags. My husband, daughter, and I, were each responsible for a bag. We carried them onto the plane and I gave strict instructions to tuck the bag between their legs. Everything arrived in excellent condition.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 5

I sent 60 cookies home with my sister last year for her husband's retirement party. She flew from Omaha to Boston. I wrapped each cookie in small bubble wrap and placed them in a shoe box. She put them in a shopping type bag and carried them on. Not a single cookie broke! If you carry them on, you have far greater control over what happens to them than if you put them in your luggage. Just make sure they'll fit under the seat, between your feet. Good luck!

writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 12:38am
post #4 of 5

While you shouldn't have any problems, TSA issued a statement saying they MIGHT open wrapped packages for further inspection. Make sure your cookies are in boxes or containers that can be opened and re-closed easily without ruining them and if you're going to wrap them, wait until you get to your destination to do that.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2011/1114.shtm (Scroll down to Holiday Travel Tips)

"Food items such as pies and cakes are permitted but may require further inspection. If travelers are not sure if a food item is considered a liquid or gel it is best to pack the item in checked baggage or ship it to a destination in advance."

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 2:04am
post #5 of 5

I've travelled with mine in my checked in luggage. I packed each in cellophane, layered with paper towel all in a tin cookie box that I taped shut. i make sure nothing is moving when i shake it! I've done this twice and so far not a broken one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%