Making Snake And Spider Cake For My Son's B-Day

Decorating By syarber Updated 9 Dec 2011 , 10:57pm by SophieBifieldCakeCompany

syarber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
syarber Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 2

So my 8 year old has asked me to make a snake and spider cake for his birthday a few weeks away. Not a problem right. Only he has a few specifics that he wants. He has seen me make fondant cakes and liked the looks of those cakes. But he asked a for a Tarantula on the top( like the one he owns) and a Corn snake wrapped around the base of the cake (also like the one he owns). Has anyone ever made either of these out of fondant or gumpaste? I'm up for the challenge but have never tried either of these. I have asked a few cake decorators in my area and have gotten a "are you crazy" response back. They would never put that many hours into one of their kid's birthday cakes, unless of course it was a major birthday i.e. 16th. Which shocked me because I go over the top for my kid's birthdays , they are my best customers lol. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 reply
SophieBifieldCakeCompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBifieldCakeCompany Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 2

Is there a way you can post pictures of your son's tarantula and corn snake? ... I can think of a few ways in which you could create them out of fondant and gumpaste, but seeing the real thing would help determine the best techniques to use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%