The Next Great Baker 2......so Confused

Lounge By Ashleyssweetdesigns Updated 20 Jan 2012 , 4:27pm by CWR41

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 158

Aren't the people they cast on this show supposed to be really talented. No offense to the contestants I know first hand how difficult cake decorating is and I am by no means qualified to be on the show but I've seen tons of cakes made by people from CC that deserve to be there much much more. On top of that there desserts didn't even taste good. Is it me am I crazy!!!??? Just venting........ icon_smile.gif

157 replies
BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 158

Well, I'm not sure how these contestants are found, perhaps some are very talented all of the time and others collapse under pressure. Also keep in mind that sometimes people have employees do a lot of their work and recipes are already mixed. Food for thought.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 158

It seems obvious to me that Buddy isn't the one to choose the contestants but rather the producers that are going for ratings and entertainment value over talent. I'm sure Buddy would have recognized many skilled artists that were overlooked yet not chosen as contestants.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

It seems obvious to me that Buddy isn't the one to choose the contestants but rather the producers that are going for ratings and entertainment value over talent. I'm sure Buddy would have recognized many skilled artists that were overlooked yet not chosen as contestants.

I'm sure that they're choosing people for entertainment, this is totally correct. If they had a show where everyone got along and worked together well, and the cakes never fell over, nobody would watch. I saw a part of one episode today and it was so contrived and stupid I quit watching.

CWR41 Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 4:59am
post #5 of 158

It's a shame to see that kind of prize money being offered while many with deserving talents aren't chosen as contestants.

Pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyro Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 6:41am
post #6 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I'm sure that they're choosing people for entertainment, this is totally correct. If they had a show where everyone got along and worked together well, and the cakes never fell over, nobody would watch. I saw a part of one episode today and it was so contrived and stupid I quit watching.

Ace of Cakes.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 12:09am
post #7 of 158

Yeah I agree with you all def for television entertainment rather than based on TRUE talent. I think Im done watching the show as well!

petiterouge42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petiterouge42 Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 3:20am
post #8 of 158

This show and Cake Boss have started to irritate me. It has become more about dramatics than cake. I also think it's funny that in the last episode Buddy chastised that one guy about his fairy being too manly (which it was a bit bulky) when the majority of his sculpted pieces are made by other decorators in the shop. I could be wrong, but the only small sculpted characters I recall him making are the princess ones from his daughters birthday in Disney, and those characters were a bit "bulky" as well.

I hope more episodes of Amazing Wedding Cakes, and Fabulous Cakes come back on- those shows depicted wonderful cake artists and their work (with just enough drama for fun).

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 4:20am
post #9 of 158

I can't help but to watch - especially when they chewed that guy out for using a cake mix. I actually was pretty entertained by that bit. Of course, that guy didn't get sent home...

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 158

Keep in mind a couple of things:

1. Especially at the start of a show, they are in a strange kitchen and don't know where things are. Being given a time limit to make something in a totally strange kitchen is harder than you realize. Especially if they weren't given much time to figure out where things were beforehand (which, most likely, they were not).

2. It's easy to say "Oh, there are all these talented people on Cake Central," which is so totally true. But you have to realize a) a lot of those people have bakeries or jobs and cake take teh 4-6 weeks away to try to win the money and b) Many of the beautiful cakes members share took a lot of work to do. Maybe not all of them, but a lot of them. And when you're facing a time deadline in a strange setup (and having to dodge the film crew), it's a lot tougher than working in a familiar environment.

Please note: No, I am not nor have I been on the show. But having done reality competition cooking, I have some idea of what they are facing.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 7:06pm
post #11 of 158

Like I said I'm no professional either but I wasn't just talkin about the cakes they made for the elimination challenge. They did a small synopsis about each competitor and showed clips of cakes they made outside of the competition and only one or two of them were really impressive.

Lalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalady Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 158

I have enough drama in my own life, I can't take the drama from this show & Cake Boss, too.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 8:58pm
post #13 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I can't help but to watch - especially when they chewed that guy out for using a cake mix. I actually was pretty entertained by that bit. Of course, that guy didn't get sent home...

That one threw me. I felt if anyone should go home it should have been him.

dchockeyguy Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 9:44pm
post #14 of 158

Yes, it was surprising to me as well. However, this is a sad footnote to the series.

http://www2.nbc17.com/news/2011/oct/27/fort-bragg-soldier-dies-gunshot-wound-ar-1544599/

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 10:11pm
post #15 of 158

Wow I'm in total shock! I feel terrible what a sad story. He seemed like a nice guy... My prayers are with his family.

FromScratchSF Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 10:41pm
post #16 of 158

OK, I'm dense, was that the guy on the show that made cake mix? I wasn't watching it close enough for back story but I know there was a soldier on there.

cakemama22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama22 Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 11:36pm
post #17 of 158

Yes the guy who used the cake mix was Wesley and he was the soldier.

FromScratchSF Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 12:00am
post #18 of 158

I Googled this and haven't found any article crediting him as a contestant - but it obviously is him. Now that's sad, I'm assuming suicide?

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 3:22am
post #19 of 158

I also feel that they are looking for contestants that are going to "put on" for the camera to boost the ratings. These shows should be about showcasing talented bakers/decorators. jmho

dchockeyguy Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 3:53pm
post #20 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I Googled this and haven't found any article crediting him as a contestant - but it obviously is him. Now that's sad, I'm assuming suicide?

That was what I was thinking, based on the way the short article was written.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 6:51pm
post #21 of 158

I was vieing as a contestant for this show, missed the first show but watched last nights show. I am PISSED! These people have absolutely no cake skills to speak of! Are they all amatures? Like someone else said it is a shame that so much money went to someone whose cake talents are less deserving than many of those (and I met several in the process) whose skills are top notch and weren't selected. I am beginning to think that if you had great cake skills you weren't chosen because they don't want anyone who could possibly show up Buddy. Don't get me wrong, Buddy is a great decorator but it is his show and he needs to always come off as way better than the winner.

FromScratchSF Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 7:17pm
post #22 of 158

OK, last night's episode had serious WTF? moments for me...

First, people actually EAT icing that has that much food color in it (baker's challenge)? DISGUSTING. The wooden prep table was stained pink and purple for the rest of the episode. Ug.

Second, what the hell do you mean, "I don't know how to pipe?" How the eff did you get on a national CAKE show? I mean, piping ain't my strong suit but if I was picked I'd be taking the 1st Wilton class I could sign up for to beef up those skills, at least watch you tube videos, or sit down and make rose after rose after rose....

Third, Buddy's cake was completely ugly, had bare spots in the base icing and his piping was all over the place. Master he is not.

Fourth, the "winning" cake was a freakin disgrace.

And the carving? OMG haven't these people watched some episodes of Challenge or Amazing Cakes? C'mon! And where was the cake in 2 of the "cakes" done? Except the one that collapsed, they were ALL rice crispy treats. Did you also notice that the one that collapsed had NO supports? No foam core, no cardboard plates, no support straws. Just layers of cake and nasty crisco buttercream. The part that didn't collapse was all crispy treats. <shaking head>

And does anyone else think the cake they have been using looks burned to cinders? Seriously, I keep thinking they are grabbing chocolate cake till they start carving into it revealing yellow. Gross.

Sigh.

cakemama22 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 7:49pm
post #23 of 158

I agree, Buddy's cake looked like crap too. What really made me mad was when he bulldozed their cakes. As someone who knows what went into those cakes, I don't care how awful they look, how can you do that to someone? They might not have been good enough for a paying cusomer's event, but you could have cut that cake up and served it at a food shelter where I'm sure they don't get cake very often.

And then when he tried to eliminate the lady who was not the leader, and it wasn't her fault the cake died. Not okay! I think that part was either scripted, or he was told to keep the guy because he would create drama with megan.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 8:25pm
post #24 of 158

"They might not have been good enough for a paying cusomer's event, but you could have cut that cake up and served it at a food shelter where I'm sure they don't get cake very often. "

Could not agree, I'm appalled at the waste of good food/cake on this show.

I'm also tired of Buddy, he's so up himself I'm surprised he fits through the door!

FromScratchSF Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 8:48pm
post #25 of 158

That's the thing - there was no cake on those things. They were all crispy treats.

By the looks of it, I refuse to believe the cake they have been playing with is cake or icing that was meant to be eaten. Burnt and so full of chemicals!

I know it seems like a good notion to give food, any food, to homeless shelters, but believe me, no homeless shelter of food bank would want 50 lbs of rice crispy treats. They won't even take left over cake. They want nutritious, unprepared or canned food. I know, I've contacted several shelters in my area (San Francisco = massive homeless population) to find one that would accept cake I have left over and I've been turned down by them all. The last thing they want to give someone that hasn't had a decent meal in weeks is a hand-full of sugar.

So, to me, yeah, I'm fine with smashing those horrendous things with a steam roller. They weren't fit for consumption.

ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 12:19pm
post #26 of 158

Here is a link, it was the army guy that was shot:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11335/1193536-34-0.stm

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 1:09pm
post #27 of 158

It says in the article - it was acknowledged on the show on Monday. I didn't see it acknowledged on the show, on Monday. Did I miss that????

CWR41 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 3:02pm
post #28 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

It says in the article - it was acknowledged on the show on Monday. I didn't see it acknowledged on the show, on Monday. Did I miss that????

The article says:
In another sad development, fellow "Next Great Baker" castmate Wesley Durden, 28, was shot and killed in Fayetteville, N.C., on Oct. 24. Known as "The Cake Sergeant," he had been stationed at Fort Bragg after two tours in Iraq.

His death was not acknowledged on the show Monday.

I'm really surprised to see they quoted Megan saying that she didn't win... thought they'd be fined for announcing results or releasing information before it aired.

cakemama22 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 3:20pm
post #29 of 158

Here's the quote:
Her little projects morphed into big cakes. Last April, she entered an elaborate confection modeled after the couple's bulldog, Chops, in a fundraiser contest judged by the "Cake Boss" himself, Buddy Valastro. It opened the door for something completely unexpected.

"I didn't win, but I think it got me noticed," she said.

She was saying she didn't win the fundraiser contest. There's no way they would publish any kind of results before the show. I'm really disappointed that they didn't mention Wesley is the episode. That's something that should be awknowledged.

CWR41 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 3:58pm
post #30 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama22

Here's the quote:
Her little projects morphed into big cakes. Last April, she entered an elaborate confection modeled after the couple's bulldog, Chops, in a fundraiser contest judged by the "" himself, Buddy Valastro. It opened the door for something completely unexpected.

"I didn't win, but I think it got me noticed," she said.

She was saying she didn't win the fundraiser contest. There's no way they would publish any kind of results before the show. I'm really disappointed that they didn't mention Wesley is the episode. That's something that should be awknowledged.

I get it... I was too quick to skim through the article to find the part about Wesley.

They didn't mention what has since happened to Wesley in either of the season 2 episodes that have aired, and it's not disappointing to me if they don't throughout the season as it airs... however, I'll be disappointed if there isn't an "In Memory" credit added by the final episode of the season.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%