Ganahe Question

Decorating By Rhonlynn Updated 2 Dec 2011 , 3:52pm by Rhonlynn

Rhonlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonlynn Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 7

When ganache is placed on a cake, instead of chocolate frosting, does it dry hard, like a candy coating?

6 replies
stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 7

It will be harder, but not like a chocolate shell. The cream will keep it softer and pliable, while the chocolate allows it to have a harder finish. Hope that makes since. Hopefully someone else will have a better explanation.

Rhonlynn Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks...I think I was thinking chocolate shell. My son doesn't want fondant on his cake on his 2st birthday. So i'm doing a small Vulcan Snowboarding cake. He wants yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting, and a pineapple upside down cake. I want to make him a special, smaller cake, from the sportsball pan, with a gumpaste Vulcan stone, and a snowboarder. So he gets that too. So I was thinking chocolate shell type frosting on the cupcakes, to make them look like a Hostess cupcake.

stsapph Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 7

I think the ganache would work well for that. It would be nice and glossy smooth, but would not be hard to cut into. Sounds like fun to me!!

Rhonlynn Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 7

Like a petite four. Is that ganache? I've filled a cake with ganache, but it was creamy.

stsapph Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 7

You need to find a poured ganache recipe. I normally use equal parts heavy cream and chocolate with a few Tbsp of butter to make it shiny. I heat the cream and butter until just boiling and then pour it over the chocolate. Let sit about 5 minutes, then stir until smooth. Pour over cake and let harden. It will still have a creamy mouth feel when eaten, but will set up nice for the cake finish.

Rhonlynn Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 7

Thankyou....Now I need to find the time to make all those cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%