Cake Central's New Look... Thank You!!

Lounge By Cupcations Updated 5 Dec 2011 , 9:31pm by shanter

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 5:13am
post #1 of 25

I absolutely LOVE IT!
Thank you icon_biggrin.gif ! I'm sure you've been working hard, it's greatly appreciated thumbs_up.gif

24 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 25

Yes, thank you! But one question - where is the home page quick link to most recent posts?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Yes, thank you! But one question - where is the home page quick link to most recent posts?

It's under the Forums menu at the top, "newest forum posts". The page links on that page are still broken though.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 25

Thanks, Jason!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 25

thumbs_up.gif Great new look! Thanks for all of your hard work!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 25

Change is alwasy hard to accept. I'm not 100% happy with the changes at this point but I'll hold my
final opinion until everything is done and I've had a few weeks to get used to the changes.

Cupcakeboy85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeboy85 Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 25

I loved it!!! espeically the photo gallery

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 2:18am
post #8 of 25

How do I get the ads that are on the right side not to overlap on the forums? It is hard to read the post. I use Google Chrome on a Mac computer. Thanks

jason_kraft Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 3:00am
post #9 of 25

AdBlock should do the trick, it is available for most browsers (including Chrome). Just make sure to disable it or make an exception for CC once the ad issue has been resolved.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 3:07am
post #10 of 25

Sorry to pee in your Cheerios, but I really don't like the new format, for a whole slew of reasons. Not user friendly, old bugs still exist, new bugs all over the place, can't find things (half my pix have disappeared!) icon_confused.gif etc. etc. Nope, I liked the old CC better.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 3:11am
post #11 of 25

Frustrated again. Yesterday, I tried to do a search on a theme cake. Got a message, Come back in two hours. I came back a day later and got the same message. I realize we are trying to fix the bugs, but I've got a cake to make and I am trying to find the inspiration I like finding on cc except, I can't get there from here. I'm leaving again for the night. I used to stay logged in for several hours,reading and researching. I guess I'll be hanging on facebook with my favorite cakers. I'm outta here

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 1:29pm
post #12 of 25

Thank you Jason, it worked. I installed AdBlock. Now I can actually read the forums again. Now where is my magnifying glass. LOL

Cupcakeboy85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeboy85 Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 5:37pm
post #13 of 25

Ever since I joined here I am unable to see my avatar picture all I see is an x under my name, how can that be fixed?

Vick61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vick61 Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 25

I don't mind changes, we all have to make them in our daily lives, but I have to say, I really find the new "look" horrible. It's not inviting, the ads are totally disruptive, the small size of the forums (the ads are almost 1/2 to 3/4 the size of the content area), the bugs I can understand, though they're numerous... bottom line is, I used to spend hours on CC researching, enjoying others designs, perusing forums, etc... I've been trying to enjoy the new look but find it to be very sterile in appearance and not as user friendly as it previously was and I've loved CC from the day I joined. Not finding that same joy now...

Puck35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Puck35 Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 10:49am
post #15 of 25

Actually, I don't like it. Usability is not good. Menu on left side worked much and much better. that's also what case studies reveal. And now left menu is gone. Ads on right side are WAY TO BIG compared to website itself. When first opening website, i kept wondering why menu left wasn't loading, until I realised that it is gone. Layout seems weird. I think it would already be much better if you increase the column for website and decrease the column for ads. My god, with smaller ads they will pay too. Really, this is bad bad bad

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 10:58pm
post #16 of 25

It is just really hruting my eyes. The font is just so small. I'll have to take major breaks, cause I can't read for too long.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 11:59pm
post #17 of 25

I`m finding my way around a little more as I go along. But I have to say I do miss the Forums on the front page a LOT. And the views and saved on the photos, I do hope that the forums come back on the home page,

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 12:07am
post #18 of 25

Most of the bugs seem to be caken care of . I know all the rest will soon be a thing of the past. Thanks to Jackie, Heath & all the staff. I am grateful to have such a wonderful site for FREE.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 3:16am
post #19 of 25

I personally prefer the old site to the new layout for many of the "gripes" listed here and in other forums but I cannot imagine the "headache" Heath and Jackie have listening to all the whining from all of us. Rome wasn't built in a day and I will give them the benefit of time to iron out everything that's bugging us and continue to be grateful for a cake site such as CC! Even if I were to leave the site tomorrow, I would be eternally grateful for all I have learned and enjoyed from this site! For now I will exercise my brain cells a bit and continue to explore the new Cake Central and see what I am capable of learning when I get off my high horse and lazy butt!

jason_kraft Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 5:06am
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

I personally prefer the old site to the new layout for many of the "gripes" listed here and in other forums but I cannot imagine the "headache" Heath and Jackie have listening to all the whining from all of us. Rome wasn't built in a day and I will give them the benefit of time to iron out everything that's bugging us and continue to be grateful for a cake site such as CC!

I agree that it can be tough listening to complaints, but there are ways to avoid this situation. Part of my day job involves developing and deploying web sites, and one of the most critical aspects of development is building a "test" system to allow a limited number of users to take a look at the changes and gather feedback before the changes are put into production. I'm sure CC had a test system built and there was probably some internal testing, but it doesn't sound like any actual users were invited to test the changes for bugs and usability.

This is not meant as an attack on the owners and developers of this site...it's certainly not easy to admin a community forum as large as this one or overhaul what is probably ancient code (by technical standards anyway) and I have a great deal of respect for everyone involved. It's just disappointing how so much hard work is being overlooked due to some pretty basic usability issues that should have been addressed before the changes went live.

And yes, the site is free (in direct monetary terms at least), but I enjoy participating in the forums here and it would be a shame if these changes wind up driving away the CC community. A lot of people have invested a lot of time building content for CC for free (photo galleries, forum posts, recipes, etc.) so it is only natural to want the site to continue to flourish.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 1:25pm
post #21 of 25

Very well said, Jason_Kraft!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 5:52pm
post #22 of 25

I too keep getting the ads on the right hand side over-lapping the forums..Very frustrating..I did enable my ad blocker also but no change.Hmmmm

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 6:01pm
post #23 of 25

We ALL MUST be patient and give them a chance to work out the problems.
No, I'm not happy w/the changes mainly because it's hard to teach an OLD dog new tricks and this OLD lady has a hard time understanding how the changes relate to what was but as it took each of us time to get used to the site when we joined it will take time to get used to the new format. Please give them that time.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 6:07pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

I agree that it can be tough listening to complaints, but there are ways to avoid this situation. Part of my day job involves developing and deploying web sites, and one of the most critical aspects of development is building a "test" system to allow a limited number of users to take a look at the changes and gather feedback before the changes are put into production. I'm sure CC had a test system built and there was probably some internal testing, but it doesn't sound like any actual users were invited to test the changes for bugs and usability.

Heath responded to all the griping in the original thread which is now locked and mentioned that some of their new features had to be tested on a live environment, which they didn't realize until they were well into developing the new site. I agree with you that there are ways that they could have avoided the griping. It sounds like those involved didn't fully map out the project and determine where the pitfalls were. I guess they don't want to hear any more because they've locked that thread now. And I just posted a request for a new feature (I'd like to be able to mark a thread a favourite (like a recipe and photo) so I have a specific list available. This is not the same as using the watch threads view which would include everything I've ever written or flagged. Someone commented about using the watched threads, but I couldn't respond as they've locked that thread as well.

In any case, there are some aspects I like, but like others, some I don't. I use both Firefox and IE8 and don't see any of the ads since I installed Ad Blocker a few months ago. It's just the framesets that are a little out of wack now.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 9:31pm
post #25 of 25

If you want to track a thread, click on "Watch this topic for replies"; then when you hover on the "forums" tab, you will see "my watched topics." Click on that and see which threads you are watching.

Jason_Kraft said "one of the most critical aspects of development is building a "test" system to allow a limited number of users to take a look at the changes and gather feedback before the changes are put into production."
and I completely agree. I know of two ways to make a functioning test site without making it go live to the world.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%