Problem With Venu What Do I Do?

Decorating By labmom Updated 2 Dec 2011 , 2:56am by Annabakescakes

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 1:51am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone. I took and order for a cake this afternoon for a 90th birthday to be served at a sunday brunch. It wasn't until I hung up and reviewed my records that I realized that I have delivered a few cakes to this place and have had problems with never enough cake.
I first thought it was my fault and gave the wrong number of servings or more guests than numbers given. I gave an extra cake the next time and put it in the kitchen... same thing happened... this time the brides family was not as understanding as the first time.
The last time I was also invited to the reception. I made sure that the cake was much larger than the bride needed. I also left two 10in kitchen cakes. and took a photo of them on the prep tables with a server. So I felt there would be no problem. One of the guests at our table happen to ask for another slice of cake for her sons, the waiter said he didn't think that there was any cake left. I couldn't believe it when she was told that it was all gone.. I was so upset and wanted to go in the kitchen and find out what was going on... they had at lest 100 extra servings... and I know that not everyone ate cake.. many went from dinner to the bar... My husband told me to just leave it alone .
But what do I do now that I must again deliver to this hall? It is a very very upscale hall you must belong to the beach club to even use it. I can see running out of cake once.. but this is just crazy.

Any suggestions? I don't want to loose a client because of not wanting to deliver to the venu but on the other hand I don't want a client mad at me when they don't have enough deserts. And I don't want to talk down to the client about there choice of a venu....

Please any suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated.

I will once again be attending this party as a friend of the family... but not cutting or serving. How would you handle this?

3 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 2:07am
post #2 of 4

Provide a copy of the Wilton chart to the venue when you deliver the cake. If you are there and you see something going on, then you need to step in and say "look, I provided 100 extra servings so where is this cake?" If necessary, advise someone close to the event (like the maid of honor or MOB) and let them know what is going on.

Also, I would advise the client about what's going on. Let them know that there are known issues with cake theft. It is really a big deal in some venues. My venue tried to steal two of my leftover tiers when I had my wedding but I was on them about it and made the girl go back (twice) and look. She wasn't too happy about it but oh well. I would have gone back there myself if she didn't.

The customer is paying for the cake. They shouldn't have to pay for extra cake because of pilferage.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 2:22am
post #3 of 4

I'd have taken the venue to task THE FIRST TIME this happened. I wouldn't hesitate a lick to tell the client about the previous problems and I'd encourage them to take the venue to task (or court) if there isn't "enough cake".

Be darned if I'd make one extra serving of cake when I KNOW that it's either not being cut correctly or it's bein stolen icon_mad.gif
Their incompetence or thievery shouldn't be costing you a dime or a minute of your time.

I'd talk to the venue manager prior to the event and tell them about the previous incidents. I'd provide a cutting chart to match the cake provided and let it be known that there will be NO funny stuff this time, as I am present and I WILL make a fuss if there is so much as one slice that goes missing. I'd then offer to teach the staff how to properly cut a cake---starting with this one.

Rae

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 2:56am
post #4 of 4

I agree with Blake's cakes 110%

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%