Ganache Question

Decorating By camomama5 Updated 3 Dec 2011 , 3:38am by camomama5

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 1:40am
post #1 of 6

The ganache that I see (that I have been attempting) is a gorgeous glossy smooth finish. But then I saw that some people put ganache on with a spatula and they cool the ganache until it is kind of a whipped consistency. I don't understand. I am not putting it on under fondant. I want it to have that beautiful look I described above but I don't understand how it can if I am not POURING it on while it is warm. Can someone point me in the right direction? I have searched online and can't find the answer to my question. My sides when I pour look very sloppy because it continues to drip down the sides. Thank you so much for your time...whoever has time.

5 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 6

I think what you are looking for is chocolate glaze for enrobing cakes. Here is a video:

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 6

Hi there. I feel your pain. My experience with using ganache is mixed. I have used it to pour over a cake but you have to be careful that your cake is trimmed nicely so it has a smooth finish. I have read that people put a layer of buttercream under their ganache to get a beautifully smooth finish. I never had to do this since the sides of the cakes I did with poured ganache were covered with peanut butter cups and hid any bumps. Recently I did a few cakes where I whipped the ganache after it cooled and it spreads beautifully, but you won't get that same glossy look. If that is what you are looking for, I would trim my cake so your layers are all of equal size with no bulges, add a thin coat of buttercream to smooth the cake out, then pour your ganache over the top letting the excess run down the sides. You really need to have your cake sitting over one of those cooling grids so the excess can drip down and not pool around the bottom of your cake.

HTH and good luck!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 3:38am
post #6 of 6

Thank you guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%