Why Does This Blondie Sink? Recipe Help Please...

Baking By Dayti Updated 3 Dec 2011 , 3:44pm by cheeseball

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I use the following recipe/method for am 8" square Blondie:

8oz white chocolate
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbs vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup white chocolate chips

Melt butter with chocolate over low heat. Leave to cool.
Whisk eggs til foamy, add sugar and vanilla, whisk some more.
Add cooled chocolate/butter mix, whisk some more.
Change to paddle, fold in flour, salt, BP and chocolate chips.

8" square tin, I bake at 150ºC for 25-30 mins.

It looks great in the oven, sinks a lot when in comes out.... help?!

6 replies
cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,

It's really the nature of this kind of bar cookie. They puff up and then sink, leaving you with higher edges and a really chewy sunken center. Depending on how thick the batter/dough is, sometimes you can counter that by spreading it so that it's thinner at the edges and higher in the middle so that it bakes a little more evenly.

They taste great though, no matter how they look icon_wink.gif

Dayti Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for replying. Its a bit annoying because I really want it to look like my brownie, which doesn't sink, because I sell them displayed next to each other. It does taste fantastic, its just aesthetics really!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 6:21am
post #4 of 7

My white chocolate "brownie sinks too. I thought I had failed too. Then I saw a picture of a famous bakery with a pan of these out of the oven. They cut the edges off and sell the edges in a bag for a premium.

So you could actually increase your recipe by 1.5x, make them thicker so that after sinking, they still have a little height, and sell the edges. I would definitely use a baking strip for more batter.

Dayti Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for your advice. Ha, I would get some weird looks from Spanish customers if I tried to sell the edges bagged up icon_biggrin.gif It's a bit like muffin tops...they just wouldn't "get it".

I might try multiplying the recipe as you suggest just to see what happens, out of curiosity. But I don't think it's really doable since I can't increase the price on it (I already sell it at the same price as the brownie, despite it being a bit smaller) so I'd end up losing profit on it.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 5:57am
post #6 of 7

I saw the sides of the white chocolate brownies in my Fat Witch Brownies book. But I do know what you mean about selling them side by side. And I think mine are still in "draft" mode on my site for exactly the same reason. Real white chocolate is very expensive and they just look small. But they taste great.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 7

Next to a wrapped brownie, you look at a wrapped blondie and go, "Awwww. Poor lil' thing." Explaining the difference to some customers is pointless when all they see is the size and think bigger must be better. So I decided to not put them next to each other and it seems to work. Ahh, messing with people's heads.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%