Ok So I Made My Own

Decorating By Crazboutcakes Updated 2 Dec 2011 , 1:38am by costumeczar

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 7

ok so I made my own gum paste for the first time with some home made fondant, so that I can use a 50/50 for some figures. Why does the mixture seem to seize when it sits for a while together? I gets bumpy and not smooth like it should. When I mix them together it is fine and while working with it is fine, but when I go bacl to it anfter maybe 30 minutes I get this nasty bumpy crap. Frustrated , any ideas? icon_mad.gif

6 replies
Crazboutcakes Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 1:27am
post #2 of 7

Does any one have any ideas? I need some guidence so that I don"t keep throwing it away. icon_sad.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 3:30am
post #3 of 7

What did you use to turn the fondant into gp? Wilton's GumTex, Tylose or CMC?? Most likely it is that whatever you used did not get mixed in enough - you might not have kneaded it enough to distrubite it properly. That's my guess icon_smile.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 7

Are you leaving it out? Or working with it and then trying to fix it later? If so, it is setting up like it should. You need to work fast when you work with gum paste. The fondant extends the workability period, but it has a Time limit before it gets yucky edges and crinkly elephant skin.

If that's not what you're talking about, sorry!

Crazboutcakes Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 7

I used tylose powder in the gumpaste and fondant as usual. I have worked with home made fondant before and love it and figured I would try with the gumpaste too. It seems that both have the right consistancy beofre I mix them and while I am working with it it seems fine but if it is set aside for a half hour or so while I work with a different color than it gets bumpy. and definately doesn't look right. unsure why,

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

I used tylose powder in the gumpaste and fondant as usual. I have worked with home made fondant before and love it and figured I would try with the gumpaste too. It seems that both have the right consistancy beofre I mix them and while I am working with it it seems fine but if it is set aside for a half hour or so while I work with a different color than it gets bumpy. and definately doesn't look right. unsure why,

Are you wrapping it back up when you set it aside to work with another color?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 1:38am
post #7 of 7

That's normal, but if you knead it with a little crisco to keep it from sticking to your hands it will warm up and smooth out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%