Wine Barrel Cake ???

Decorating By sheeba1 Updated 21 Mar 2012 , 5:53pm by meggsie

sheeba1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheeba1 Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make a Wine Barrel cake and there are great examples on the gallery here but I have been trying to figure out what size pans and how many to make the barrel.

Can anyone help me please. I need to bake the cakes tomorrow.

Thanks!

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 6:41am
post #2 of 8

There are quite a few variations on the wine barrel cake theme:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=wine+and+barrel&album=-&search_user=

You might get more responses, if you can decide on one you like and then post a link to it.

HTH

Nancy_TX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy_TX Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 9:35am
post #3 of 8

It really depends on how many people you need to feed. The best way is to stack up cake pans until it looks right. It's pretty close to twice as tall as it is wide on the ends. It's been a while but I think for the one in my gallery I used:
6"
8"
10"
10"
8"
6"

meggsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggsie Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 12:57am
post #4 of 8

Nancy TX: What about if you only need the cake to feed about 20 people? Would you still make all six of those cakes full size? Would I make one of each size and then cute in half and then stack (hope that makes sense)

Nancy_TX Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 1:10am
post #5 of 8

Nope - I'd scale it down, like in this monkeys in the barrel cake I did. I think this one was 3 6" carved. If I was trying to feed 20 people, I'd probably do 4 layers with a board in the middle. Play around with pans until it looks right, but maybe 4 layers that are 6", or you may need to do a 6", 8", 8", 6" to get the right shape.
LL

meggsie Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 1:27am
post #6 of 8

Thank you so much! =]

Now for another question! lol
For a wine bottle....... would you make the whole bottle out of fondant/gum paste, rice crispy treats other ideas.....

What about a wine glass?? If I made it out of rice crispy treats and then covered it in fondant would there be some sort of liquid or some effect to make it look like wine REAL wine inside???

Sorry for all the questions but I am TOTALLY stumped on this cake! icon_sad.gif

Nancy_TX Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 1:50am
post #7 of 8

For a wine glass, if you;re not up to doing pulled sugar, I'd be really tempted to use a real or plastic one and then fill it with something like colored piping gel, Jello, etc.

There are several ways to make the wine bottle. Easiest would be to mold it out of colored candy melts - there are lots of inexpensive molds available in a variety of sizes if you search for 3d bottle molds.

Otherwise, I'd either make a hollow one out of gumpaste, or cover RKT in fondant. There are edible varnishes/shellacs you can use to make it shiny if you use the fondant covered RKT. You might also be able to rub it with crisco/shortening to make it shiny. I'm sure others on here have some great advice for you on the wine bottle if you search the foum for wine bottles or post a new topic.

meggsie Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 8

Nancy you are AMAZING! lol

I have never worked with pulled sugar. Is it hard?

I am gonna look for a chocolate mold. If not then I am going to do the RKT method.

Im gonna search for wine bottles right now and see what I get... Again you are amazing and thanks so much for helping a newbie! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%