In Desperate Need Of Advice!!

Decorating By BeccaW40 Updated 30 Nov 2011 , 6:28am by BeccaW40

BeccaW40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeccaW40 Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 3:54am
post #1 of 6

I started a cake project for children in our community for their birthdays, who are less fortunate. I do every cake out of pocket, however a person ask if they could donate and I didn't know how to respond and ask if I could contact her in the next couple of days. Would it be wrong to accept donations??? icon_cry.gif

5 replies
dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 4:35am
post #2 of 6

I would maybe ask an accountant about tax complications, but morally, I say no, there is nothing wrong with taking donations as long as you use the money for that purpose only. Some people want to give, but don't know how or have the time, so they give the money for someone else to do the work. Either way, the kids are the winners. God bless you for doing such a sweet thing!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 4:41am
post #3 of 6

If you take donations, you may be in the position of needing a licensed kitchen. I know of people who do this, but that status warrants certification, just like any non-profit must comply with HD rules.

Check with your local HD and see what they have to say. They will have the answer. Before my kitchen was finished, I could donate but I couldn't take money. Also, you may want to check because I couldn't make cakes for the young and the old without an approved kitchen. They are the most succeptible to food illnesses.

BeccaW40 Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 4:51am
post #4 of 6

Thank you....in my area, if we live in the county, we are only required to have a health card. I did some research, and AZ law doesn't state anything on taxes if it is donated as a gift. I have never had anyone ask if they could donate, so I didn't know what to say, or how to respond. As I can no longer work, due to several serious medical issues, I have started this program along with fundraiser cakes to the local non-profit groups because I want to give back and help. I know less fortunate children are in need of other things, however their borthday should be special. Thank you, I will do some more research.

Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 6:10am
post #5 of 6

If there is no problem with the taxes or health codes I say accept the donations. I believe that when you bless someone (as you are with the kids) you in turn receive a blessing ( by feeling, in heaven or here on earth). If you don't accept the donation then you would be denying her blessing ( to you and her) Wheather you believe or not I don't think you should deny her the good feeling of giving.

BeccaW40 Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 6:28am
post #6 of 6

Thank you sunshine, you are absolutely correct. I think maybe it was a little bit of my pride, however I do cover all the costs myself with no help, so I would greatly appreciate the kindness from someone who would like to help. Maybe she doesn't have time, or know how to help, so I will accept offers. My sister donated 12 lbs of powdered sugar for icing!!! I really want this to work, and with the poverty level in our community then I may need all the help I can get. Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%