Cake Balls Not Smooth

Baking By Ballymena Updated 3 Dec 2011 , 6:08am by Ballymena

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 1:18am
post #1 of 17

I have used Wilton's Candy Melts to dip the cake balls in just as their book instructs. Even after adding oil to the candy melt I still find it too thick and it sure doesn't look like the photos in the book.

16 replies
BeccaW40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeccaW40 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 1:57am
post #2 of 17

Lol...I have yet to achieve the effect in some of the photos in the books. Makes me wonder, seeing as some of the photos you see of food is actually airbrushed to make it look perfect!!!! I used candy melts, and my cake balls came out somewhat smooth...I did double dip....yummy!!! icon_eek.gif

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 2:07am
post #3 of 17

I agree! I can never get them smooth either. I think they must double dip. I've even had the melts kind of separate when I've dipped them ( I can't explain proper ) .
The more I have read on how to melt/temper chocolate the worse they seem to look! I made better looking "chocolate " stuff when I threw a handful of chocolate chips in the microwave and melted them with no thought on how to do it!
I do like the cake pop maker ! Atleast my cake balls start out round! The crumbled cake and icing recipe I can't even get them perfectly round.

Ballymena Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 2:37am
post #4 of 17

I love my cake pop maker. I also make my mom's cake donut recipe in it and it makes fun pancakes.
Now to get the chocolate smooth on the cake balls.

hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 2:51am
post #5 of 17

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with your chocolate, I make cake balls all the time, I have tried many chocolate including candy melts which did not work for me. I now always and only use almand bark it's inexpensive tasty and works like a charm. I use a bit of Cisco in mine. I use luster dust to make them shimmer afterwards good luck.

pounds6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pounds6 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 3:30am
post #6 of 17

I used candy melts and they come out perfect. Once I noticed I wasnt getting the perfectly smooth finish and I just needed to add more shortening. Are you adding shortening or "oil". YOu typed "oil" in your post. I only had to dip once. Try adding a little more shortening. Good Luck

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 3:42am
post #7 of 17

I agree with pound6.
This past holiday I made 100 pops. I used some candy coating for a change. A little different than melts, I found the chocolate more sensitive to cold and I noticed that a couple cracked , nothing a little double dipping couldn't fix.
I found the melts came out best and I used shortening to thin it out a little. I also stirred the chocolate every time just before dipping. I was very pleased with them.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 4:28am
post #8 of 17

There's a product on the market called Paramount Crystals and you sprinkle them into Chocolate to thin it out. They're shortening chips and probably wax but don't quote me on that. The results are immediate.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 5:06am
post #9 of 17

I used the paramount crystals when I used the candy coating. Although the main ingredient in the CK brand is Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil with soy, IMO, I thought they had a waxy taste. They are very effective for thinning.

Will most likely use them again but not for the melts- I like how the shortening works with them.

cookiemama2 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 11:35am
post #10 of 17

I've used Wilton candy melts and some I have bought bulk at the Bulk Barn. Both I have had trouble with. Do you find that adding shortening sometimes leaves little lumps of unmelted shortening ( I use Crisco brand ) And by adding "a little shortening" ...how much is a little? There are times when I use tbsp's and its still too thick to dip.

hails... I have seen the bark, I think thats next to try.

hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 1:40pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemama2

I've used Wilton candy melts and some I have bought bulk at the Bulk Barn. Both I have had trouble with. Do you find that adding shortening sometimes leaves little lumps of unmelted shortening ( I use Crisco brand ) And by adding "a little shortening" ...how much is a little? There are times when I use tbsp's and its still too thick to dip.

hails... I have seen the bark, I think thats next to try.

I melt about half the package at a time I use a heaped teaspoon just mix well so u have no little lumps icon_smile.gif

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 2:39pm
post #12 of 17

I keep adding shortening until the candy melts drip off a spoon easily...sometimes it is quite a bit. Just keep stirring and heating for very short intervals and the shortening will all melt in.

CherylB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylB Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 2:28am
post #13 of 17

I find that using Almond Bark chocolate (I buy it at Walmart .... it's cheaper than Wilton Melts too!) works like a dream,

rr2sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rr2sweet Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 4:03pm
post #14 of 17

I used to have trouble with wilton all the time so now I pay a little more money and buy merckens candy melts and they are so much smoother and dip so much easier

designdiva22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designdiva22 Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 11:11pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballymena

I have used Wilton's Candy Melts to dip the cake balls in just as their book instructs. Even after adding oil to the candy melt I still find it too thick and it sure doesn't look like the photos in the book.

I use both Wilton candy melts and Almond Bark and add oil after they are semi-melted. Keep adding oil till the consistency is pouring and liquid. They turn out smooth all the time.

cookiemama2 Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 2:18am
post #16 of 17

Oil...like a vegetable oil?
no lumps like the shortening!
Can you add color to the oil ( say wilton gel paste ) then mix it in the candy melts?

Ballymena Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 6:08am
post #17 of 17

The store where I teach at tells me she uses the gels for coloring chocolate. I have never tried it though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%