I Really Need Help With A Good Red Or Pink Velvet Recipe.

Baking By luvbuttercream Updated 21 Mar 2013 , 12:07pm by AlicesMadBatter

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 12:50am
post #1 of 13

I am wanting to make red or pink velvet cupcakes this weekend for my daughters b-day. I have looked around and seen so many variations with mixed reviews I would really like a tried and true recipe that is great!. I trust all you wonderful people's opinions and would appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance!

12 replies
MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 1:40am
post #2 of 13

I use CakeMan Raven's recipe. Make sure you use cake flour and I add an extra tsp of cocoa for my daughters.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 2:17am
post #3 of 13

Sarah's recipe on this site is very good and gets rave reviews.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 2:20am
post #4 of 13

Bar none--hands down--no question about it--use this doctored Duncan Hines mix. I did a 6 month search for "red velvet". Tried cupcakes from 4 different, famous bakers, tried 5 different recipes. This is the one.

Courtesy of BlakesCakes from CakeCentral.comDOCTORED RED VELVET CAKE:

1 Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix
1 box white chocolate (hard to find, try WalMart) or chocolate instant pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract

BlakesCakes: Hand mix all ingredients until incorporated and then mix on medium with a hand mixer for 1:30 to 2:00 minutes. Bake at 325 until a toothpick comes out clean. The cake is tasty and sturdy. I often ice with a 50/50 mixture of homemade buttercream and canned cream cheese icing so that the cake can stay at room temp for long periods.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 2:24am
post #5 of 13

Scratch baker like me go for Cakeman Raven's with teeny weeny varaitions to suit my taste. Make sure to ONLY use cake flour.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 2:37am
post #6 of 13

I haven't found a "Boxed" mix yet that tastes like a real red velvet cake.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 2:47am
post #7 of 13

I PM'd you with the go-to recipe I use. It's a scratch cake but worth the effort. icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 3:34am
post #8 of 13

Cakeman's with a few changes. I think this box mix is the worst for chemical aftertaste. But I never bake anything that isn't from scratch. When my daughter and I were both taking the Wilton courses together, I baked both cakes. I used box mixes for the practice cakes with that Wilton icing on them. No one would eat them and they were thrown away. But I would taste the cake alone. The RV and carrot had the most chemicals.

luvbuttercream Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 4:46am
post #9 of 13

Thank you all for the replies icon_smile.gif

luvbuttercream Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 4:52am
post #10 of 13

I can't seem to find Cakeman's recipe anywhere on this site... Am I missing something?

Smore4us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smore4us Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 5:41am
post #11 of 13

You can look for Chef Stef's southern red velvet cake recipe on this site as it is exactly the same, but you could also google search cakeman raven's red velvet. I just found a youtube video of cakeman raven making this recipe that was very useful. Good luck!!

deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 5:56am
post #12 of 13

Maybe I'm unusual, but I still don't get the popularity of red velvet. I'd rather have good scratch yellow butter cake or a nice dark chocolate cake. Red velvet isn't here or there in my view - it isn't chocolate enough (I know it isn't supposed to be) and all the food coloring in the cake is kind of gross (though I'll put food coloring in fondant - but you can peel that off, right?) Anyway, I've been using the NY Times /Confetti Cakes /Elisa Strauss recipe (you can google it) which I think is pretty good as red velvet goes. Is Cake Man Raven's recipe much different from that? I had heard Cake Man's version had an oily consistency.

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 12:07pm
post #13 of 13

Can Cakeman's recipe be used for cupcakes? I've tried other delicious red velvet cake recipes like his for cakes but they fail as cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%