Selling Wholesale In Nc - Who To Call?

Business By ncsmorris Updated 6 Dec 2011 , 11:26pm by ncsmorris

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 3

Does anyone know about selling wholesale in NC? As in, who do I need to call?

I want to partner with a photog for smash cake sessions. I would sell her the cake at wholesale, and she would incorporate it into a package to sell to the customer (the whole idea being that the customer wouldn't know the a la carte prices of my cake, the photog's session, or the "free" prints that the photog is including in the package).

The problem is, neither one of us know where to start as far as sales tax implications or if I need a special license or something to sell wholesale. Any direction is appreciated.


2 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 3

I would start with the Department of Agriculture:

and also check with your town, as you probably need a business license from them.

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the response. I probably should have been more specific - I already have a legal, licensed, insured business. I just dont know how to go about the wholesale side of it. Is there anything special I need to do to sell wholesale and how does sales tax work for this? If I charge her sales tax on the wholesale price, then she charges tax on the whole package price to her client, haven't we double taxed the same item? I'm just confused. Any guidance is appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%