Crumb Coating Information

Decorating By mizzgee84 Updated 29 Nov 2011 , 12:52am by CakesbyCarla

mizzgee84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizzgee84 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 2

hi firstly apologies in advance if this question has been asked and answered its just its completely my first time making a fondant cake a doll one at that and have absolutely no experience i am making mmf for the first time too.

firstly can i make the cake and crumb coat twice in a day in advance and then put fondant on the next day? also do i refrigerate it or leave it outside?

second if i make it on the day when i crumb coat the cake the second time can i put fondant on straight away or do i refrigerate after the second coat? i know the cake has to be completely cool but the crumb coat bit is confusing i have heard that buttercream goes dry and crusty so just confused as to when to put the fondant on.

thank you in advance for any suggestions

1 reply
CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 12:52am
post #2 of 2

If you are covering your cake with fondant, there is no need to do two coats of frosting. Just put a somewhat thin layer (between an 1/8 and 1/4 inch of buttercream) on your cake.

I usually chill my cake for about an hour or so before putting the fondant on.

Also, be sure to apply some piping gel with a pastry brush to your cake before putting the fondant on so it will be sure to stick.

Once your fondant is applied don't refrigerate it (hopefully you aren't putting any perishable fillings). I don't personally refrigerate fondant b/c the condensation builds up on it after pulling it from the fridge and can make the fondant tacky etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%