About Painting Fondant And Gumpaste With Pearl Dust

Decorating By JazzyBaker Updated 28 Nov 2011 , 6:28pm by JazzyBaker

JazzyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JazzyBaker Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 7:31am
post #1 of 4

Hi there!

I would like to paint a gumpaste shoe as well as some sections of a fondant covered cake with pearl dust and have a few questions:

1) Should I wait for the gumpaste shoe to fully dry before I start painting?

2) What if I want to steam it? should I wait for the luster to dry or can I steam it right away?

3) Now for the fondant, can I paint on recently applied fondant? OR should I wait for it to dry? And if so, for how many hours should I wait?

4) What's the best medium to mix the dust with? I've read about "Everclear", vodka, clear rum and lemon extract, is any one of those better than the others??

5) Also, I've read that in order to get a darker color, I should apply several coats and wait between coats to fully dry, is this true? and how long does a coat usually take to dry??

Thank you so much in advance for your answers.

Sincerely,

Claudia
(JazzyBaker)

3 replies
lilcupcake0309 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcupcake0309 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 7:43am
post #2 of 4

I can answer a few questions. Ive always used vodka to mix dust with- it will dry pretty fast. And yes, let the the color dust dry in between the coats. It doesnt take very long. And the more vibrant you want the color, the less vodka you will need to use. I've painted on fondant before it dries and thats always worked well for me.

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 7:57am
post #3 of 4

1) Wait for the shoe to dry before painting. It will be soft if you don't and the luster dust will take that much longer to dry.

2) There shouldn't be a reason to steam it after painting if you're putting the luster dust on wet. You can steam it beforehand (after the shoe is dry) if you want though.

3) The luster dust will dry faster if you wait to paint the fondant until it's a little dry but it's not completely necessary.

4) You can use any of those mediums; the key is that they have alcohol to speed up the drying process. The higher the alcohol content, the faster it dries--I use really cheap vodka.

5) I wait overnight to paint my next coat of luster dust to make sure I'm not smearing the base coat. I tried checking a few hours after applying the first coat and it was still wet--I gave myself a whole week to cut and paint the flapper girl on the cake in my photos so I could get a dark colour on her dress.

Good luck!

JazzyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JazzyBaker Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 4

Thank so much for your answers ladies!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%