Bowl Cake!

Baking By mini_fish Updated 28 Nov 2011 , 10:13pm by mini_fish

mini_fish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mini_fish Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make a tortoise cake and have been told to use a bowl to get the shape of his back. Has anyone done this before and have any suggestions on cooking times and quantities please!

4 replies
lilly83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilly83 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 5

Hi I used a pyrex bowl to make my football cake (see my pics) I cant remember the amount of mixture I used, the cooking time was a lot longer than in a tin I just kept checking with a skewer. Not much help am I x

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 5

Asnlong as it's heat-safe you can use any glass bowl/Pyrex. I often use a size larger than I think I need because the cake is going to be a bit smaller than the bowl. Make sure to level the top before you turn out the bowl...if not the weight and heat of the cake will split it when you turn it over. I made my Santa cake with glass bowls and the snout/nose for my monkey cake using glass bowls! Good luck!

michelle h. Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michelle h. Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 5

I bake in Pyrex bowls often. Here are the tips I can think of:
- grease and flour the bowl
- reduce usual baking temp by 25 degrees F (cake browns faster in glass)
- you may get a bigger hump than you do in a regular pan
- when you test for doneness, a wooden skewer inserted in the middle of the cake should come out with moist/wet crumbs still clinging to it. If you wait until a skewer comes out completely clean, most of the cake will be overdone and dry

Hope that helps. Good luck icon_smile.gif
- michelle h.

mini_fish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mini_fish Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone that's really helpful! Better go buy myself a new bowl!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%