Anyone Have Problems With Wheat Starch Powder Sugar?

Decorating By labmom Updated 27 Nov 2011 , 6:39am by scp1127

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 5:38am
post #1 of 2

I normaly purchase commercial made butter cream due the the cost saving isues and tie saving isues and then I doctor it ... but this weekend and the holiday I had a cake order that I didnt want to turn down so I made my own normal buttercream. That was such a horrible mistake.

My husband went out and everyone was out of name brand powdered sugar
so my husband purchased a store brand or generic brand. It wasn't until after that I had this gritty and thick sticky lumpy mess. I couldn't figure out why it was doing it. I have never had any problems. I tried more liquid more shortening, nothing helped this gloppy mess...

I finaly had to open a bucket of bettercream and do the cake in that because of my lack of time....

After the cake was out the door I tried to retrace things thinking I had messed up on my measurements or something. Nope not at all... turns in looking at everything the powdered sugar had wheat starch.. not corn starch... like every other powdered sugra I have used. I tried it again with this generic sugar and the same thing happened.. so I think that it must be the wheat starrch in the sugar??? Has anyone had this problem.?[/b]

1 reply
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 6:39am
post #2 of 2

From everything I have read, the off-brands are inferior and will not produce the same results as the name brands. One of the issues is consistency. On the sugars and flours, inconsistent sizes are an issue. The sizes of the granules in the sugar can be too big and the wheat can be inferior, harder parts. On butter and other dairy products, you are buying water. I needed red fc and my store was out of McCormick's. That layer had to be re-baked because it was purple.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%