Meringue Buttercream Help!!

Baking By camomama5 Updated 27 Nov 2011 , 5:07pm by mariacakestoo

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 12:16am
post #1 of 8

How can I successfully thicken my IMBC in order to pipe a stiff dam between layers? Thank you!!

7 replies
pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 12:54am
post #2 of 8

Personally, I use a regular bc for the dam, as my imbc doesn't get stiff enough. JMO

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 1:07am
post #3 of 8

I do it all the time. Just pipe a dam then if it's not stiff enough, put it in the freezer for 10 minutes and you'll have a really stiff dam. I am interested in knowing where you're located because my IMBC gets nice and stiff if I add really cold unsalted butter chips to the icing during the mixing process.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with the previous poster. Just pipe it soft and pop it in the fridge. In 10 minutes it will be rock hard and you can fill it.

Annie

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 8

But when you go to serve the cake and it is sitting out and gets warm won't it settle and bulge?

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 8

Nope.

mariacakestoo Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 8

I have a theory about bulging and settling, and I think I'm right. I don't think I ever see anyone who uses a meringue bc complain of bulging. Why? Because that type of icing is very light weight. I don't have to let my cakes settle after filling. I still do for maybe a half hour, out of habit only at this point. American BCs have the weight of not only the shortening, but pounds and pounds of powdered sugar. The largest batch of MB I make, which fills a 6 qt bowl to the brim, has only 4.5 cups of sugar. 21 egg whites. I know the weight of that doesn't come close to the same amount of American BC. I fully believe bulging and sagging issues, are a result of using such heavy buttercreams.

mariacakestoo Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 8

And in my experience, when I fill and ice immediately afterwards, putting it in the fridge locks the cake in, if you will.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%