Ummm.....so You Can't Airbrush On Colored Fondant???

Decorating By Newbieone Updated 26 Nov 2011 , 11:20pm by KoryAK

Newbieone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbieone Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 6

So I got my handy dandy brand new Duff Airbrush today (at 50% off of course) and used it on my son's Beyblade birthday cake.

This is my first airbrush ever, but it seems to be doing good---Problem is---I needed the top of the cake to be metallic shiny gold--and I used Duff's deep red fondant to cover the cake.
After airbrushing with gold---the white MMF fondant pieces I put on top are nice and gold---but the rest of the top of the cake which is also supposed to be nice shiny gold---is reddish gold and the color is all beading up on the Duff's red fondant (because I assume I'm spraying it too much?))
Was I not supposed to use colored fondant if I have an airbrush to use? Oh no. It really looks like crap.
I haven't let it dry yet to maybe try another coat? What do you suggest?
I could post a pic maybe....

Please help--bday is tomorrow! THANKS!!!!

5 replies
platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 6

you can airbrush on color fondant...you have to do it in stages...spray a coat...let it dry & then do another coat...and repeat...

If the color is beading that means you sprayed too much in that area.... you have to mist the colors ..... but it sounds like you are spraying a lot at once to get the color you want to achieve & that you are too close to the cake when spaying the cake. I haven't used duff's airbrush colors...however I have had success with airbrushing color fondant.

Hope that makes sense

Newbieone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbieone Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 6

Okay! That's what I needed to know. I can't find it on the internet anywhere, I think most people must use white fondant.
Well, I'm gonna go try another coat! Thanks!!

BeccaW40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeccaW40 Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 6

Beading also occurs when your airbrush tip is too close to the cake...I find practicing with an inexpensive food color on an extra left over piece of fondant helps. icon_eek.gif

radomamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radomamm Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 6

Yes you can airbrush on colored fondant. I keep mine about 4-5 inches away from the cake. I use the wide mist to get more even coverage (I have airmaster airbrush). I spin the turn table as I airbrush with slow side to side motion. I wait about 5 minutes before I apply succeding coats. I hope this helps.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 6

I think it might also be the "Duff" fondant... isn't if FondX or Fondarific or something? Anyway, it has a higher fat content and doesn't dry out and maybe the added fat it what's making the airbrush not stick?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%