Fondant Character Question

Baking By kirigami Updated 26 Nov 2011 , 5:41am by Coral3

kirigami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirigami Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 5

I apologize as I know ts has been asked before but for some reason I can't search beyond one page.

I need to make fondant zoo animals to place on cupcakes(75 of them). As I am home with a 4yr old and 7 month old time is at a premium.

How far in advance can I make the animals? I presume most people will remove them but kids might eat them. It is needed for Dec. 17. Can I start now? And if I do what is the best way to store them.

Thanks

4 replies
bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 5

I would start doing them as soon as you can. Then you won't be rushed. You can store them in a "tupperware" like container or ziplock bags. Keep them out of direct sunlight so they don't fade.
Good Luck and be sure to post some pictures!
Nancy[/img]

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 4:34am
post #3 of 5

You can start now, as long as they're stored in the dark (to prevent fading), and in an OPEN plastic container (or a closed CARDBOARD box) they'll be fine. As long as they're allowed to dry out they'll store well.

BeccaW40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeccaW40 Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 5:30am
post #4 of 5

Post pics....you can start now, that way you don't feel rushed or run out of time. Store in an air tight container in a cool dark place. icon_cool.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 5:41am
post #5 of 5

^ Hi Becca...
I've had nothing but problems storing figurines in air-tight containers....heads & limbs etc bend/sag, and colour painted on eyes bleed/blur into the surrounding fondant. I'm wondering how long you allow yours to dry before putting them into an air-tight container? Or if you put a moisture absorber or something in the container with them perhaps?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%