Gingerbread Or Shortbread House?

Baking By noahsmummy Updated 1 Dec 2011 , 12:55am by noahsmummy

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 7:11am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I make gingerbread houses every year, have done for the last six years, this year im planning on doing a few mini ones to give as gifts, problem is, not everyone eats gingerbread or likes it.. in fact most people i know dont! lol. So i was wondering if there are any other types of cookies you can use to build a house structure? I live in a hot humid climate (it is summer here), so it would have to be able to stand up to that, which rules out building a house in chocolate as i have seen done.. the chocolate would simply melt away here! lol

any help would be great! thanks!

3 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 4

Use your gingerbread recipe to make a chocolate spice house. Substitute cocoa for part of the flour and lighten up on the spices. Be careful when baking because with the added cocoa it's easy to burn the bottoms. Bake at a lower temp for a longer time.

These houses are delicious and no one knows they're originally gingerbread.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 4

I made a sleigh, not a hose, out of NFSC dough. I cut the dough a little thick, about 1/2 an inch and let it bake longer in the oven. It went together like a dream!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 12:55am
post #4 of 4

thanks! i might give that chocolate one a go! my sugar cookies always turn out too bland for my liking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%