What Happened To Gumpaste?

Decorating By rifmu Updated 29 Nov 2011 , 12:48pm by Mexx

rifmu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rifmu Posted 24 Nov 2011 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,
I bought a package of Wilton gumpaste a little while back and was using some of it from time to time. The package was sitting sealed in the cupboard, but then yesterday I opened it up and the consistensy of gumpaste is tottaly wrong - sticky and lumpy ;(.
Is there anything I can do about it or just throw it out? And how do I prevent it from happening again?

5 replies
Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 1:36am
post #2 of 6

You could try kneading a small amount of shortening into and see what happens. I always keep my gum paste in the freezer. There aren't any problems refreezing it either.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 2:24am
post #3 of 6

I love the wilton premade g/p. I love nick lodges g/p. when i open the wilton, i cut it to make 4 pieces. I use little crisco on hands and knead really good . Make a log of it. Wrap in saran wrap and put them all into a freezer bag and put in freezer and get out what i want to use. So , now try putting yours in microwave , just a short time and low heat. Then use shortening on hands and knead and do as i said previous. I do think you will get it to work right. Then , when you use each piece, rub a little shortening into that. good luck. The crisco conditions it each time. Just a little each time.hth

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 2:30am
post #4 of 6

Did not know you could freez GP. Then you take it out and let it defrost, in the pkg or open the pkg.? Just concerned about moisture.

rifmu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rifmu Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 1:23am
post #5 of 6

Thank you!
I'll try shortening and I'm defenitely freezing that thing next time!

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 6

Crumbcake -
You leave it in the pkg to defrost. Gumpaste dries very quickly so if you unwrap it, it will dry and you won't be able to use it. I defrost and refreeze mine all the time with no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%