Quantity Of Samples For A Bridal Show And Marketing Material

Business By shaynajune Updated 23 Nov 2011 , 2:48pm by kakeladi

shaynajune Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaynajune Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 8

I have had my bakery open for a couple of years. I am finally going to exhibit at the largest bridal show in my area this January. I have only every been to show with a max attendace of 400 people and I have always taken samples of 3 different cakes in 2 oz cups with lids and brought about 400 to 500 samples and always had tons left-over. This show has been around for about 30 years and they are quoting their attendance as about 750 brides and 1700+ guests. Help!!! how many samples of cake should I be prepared to give out?

Also what is the most effective way you have marketed your business at a bridal show? Should I just hand out business cards, or postcards. What works best??

Thanks in advance!

7 replies
jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 8

Last summer I did a show about that size, I offered 4 flavors, and 1000 samples. I ran out by 1pm, it was so embarrassing, as I'm pretty seasoned and I should know better. But this was a new show and I wasn't sure what to expect.

It depends on whether you offer the samples out in the open for them to take or whether you put them behind a table and counter and they have to talk to you to get them.
I offer them right out in the front of the booth, and encourage people to try as many types as they want. I get really good feedback, but I guess when you're feeding them for free, you're going to get good feedback. Most people try to be a little more protective of their samples.

I would do about 1500. But that's me, and I know I push the samples pretty hard.

I offer cards, flavor and price "rack" cards, and brochures. I do overkill, but they are all nice and glossy and they give a nice impression.

The bridal shows are my only advertising expense throughout the year, so I like going the extra mile.

shaynajune Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 12:45am
post #3 of 8

Thank you I was thinking about 1500 would be a good number. Out of curiosity do you put your samples in the sauce cups with lids, and where to you order your rack cards and how many of those did you have availalbe. Thanks so much this info is soooo helpful!

jenmat Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 1:40am
post #4 of 8

I do put them in the cups. I put them on my cupcake stand with each flavor on a different tier. That way if they are full or they really like a flavor they can take it home for the fiancee to try.

I get mine at Vistaprint. I found a stock design that has nothing to do with cakes and made it work for me. I would do less than the expected brides. Maybe 500? If you run out, then no one will know they are missing, and you just hand out business cards. On one side of those I do my menu, and the other side my pricing info.

shaynajune Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 5:02am
post #5 of 8

Thank you thank you soo much!!! I feel like I will be much more prepared!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 8

I did a large show in October of this year. (800 brides). I made mini cupcakes, put them in large jello shot ups with the lids on because I could stack the cupcakes in large boxes which made transporting them easy. I don't leave them in the cups for brides to grab and go. I like brides trying the cake right then - it prompts them to talk to me which helps them remember me.

I made 1000 samples and had about 60 left over at the end of the show. I passed those out to the vendors.

I think it is really important to offer cake flavors that will stand out - especially if there are several bakeries passing out samples. At the large show I just did there were 5 bakeries. Everyone but me passed out white cake with buttercream and chocolate cake with buttercream. No one stood out.
I offered chocolate cake with mint buttercream sprinkled with the baking Andes mints. Champagne cake with strawberry buttercream. Pumpkin cake with buttercream sprinkled with cinnamon.
So many brides came up to my booth saying "we heard people talking about your cake flavors so we made sure to come by". I have had really good success of the show.

jenmat Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 8

I think it is really important to offer cake flavors that will stand out - especially if there are several bakeries passing out samples. At the large show I just did there were 5 bakeries. Everyone but me passed out white cake with buttercream and chocolate cake with buttercream. No one stood out.
I offered chocolate cake with mint buttercream sprinkled with the baking Andes mints. Champagne cake with strawberry buttercream. Pumpkin cake with buttercream sprinkled with cinnamon.
So many brides came up to my booth saying "we heard people talking about your cake flavors so we made sure to come by". I have had really good success of the show.[/quote]

Could NOT agree more! I do guinness cake, strawberry swirl, lemon poppy with raspberry, pistachio, and italian cream. Sometimes I skip the pistachio, but the selection is very important!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 8

I also agree w/offering your more creative cake flavors. That was alwasy a winner for me. Be sure to know your local health dept rules - most now require samples of food *must* be in a closed container. Put a small sticker w/your business name, addy & phone on it. Many will want to take a sample home for groom or other family menbers so be sure they know where it came from icon_wink.gif

Does this show happen to be at the Joyce center? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%