Traveling With A Cake

Decorating By dvuong Updated 23 Nov 2011 , 12:54am by solascakes

dvuong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dvuong Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 9

First off, thank you to all the members for being such a valuable resource. I have only recently started visiting CC within the last week and have already learned so much!

I am in need of some advice regarding traveling with a cake. I will be taking a tall stacked 10 inch round cake, about 10-12 inches in height with me on a two hour car ride to my destination. The cake will be placed on a large cakeboard base about 16". Reason why I need such a large base is because I plan on putting a happy birthday message on it.

What is the best way to transport a cake in this case? I can't even find a box that is large enough to fit.

I would greatly appreciate any advice! TIA

8 replies
Nyasalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyasalicious Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 9

I am assuming you will be inserting dowels inside the cake so tall.
You can buy a 16*16*16 inch mailing box at local target store in mailing supplies. i use these all the time. Just secure your board on to the box with double sticker. Place a cloth or a towel on the car seat so that the box will sit flat. 2 hours will not be a problem.

dvuong Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyasalicious

I am assuming you will be inserting dowels inside the cake so tall.
You can buy a 16*16*16 inch mailing box at local target store in mailing supplies. i use these all the time. Just secure your board on to the box with double sticker. Place a cloth or a towel on the car seat so that the box will sit flat. 2 hours will not be a problem.

Nysa, I see you're from San Jose! I'm from Daly City. Yes, I will definitely be inserting dowels inside the cake and will make every two layers a tier with a cakeboard inbetween and then a central dowel all through all the layers into the base. I was planning on putting the cake in a box in my trunk. Would putting it in a seat be more secure? I've never thought about putting it there because of the slant of the seat. Thanks!

Nyasalicious Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 9

I have never put in in trunk because i mostly use IMBC. I am scared as the heat might melt down the butter. So i put it on seat. Even if you put it in trunk i would still suggest you put a cloth preferably a wet one so the box does not move.. So where are you taking the cake?

dvuong Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 9

Do you put it in the front passenger or back seats? I know this may sound ridiculous but I'm having a hard time visualizing how to fold a towel to make the seat flat.

I'll be taking it to Turlock. It's in the central valley between Modesto and Merced.

Nyasalicious Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 9

I have put it in the front seat when i am driving. If you can push your front passenger seat way to the back then may be you can put the cake down.

Fold the towel to a long rectangle and place the towel towards the back of the seat.

dvuong Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for giving me the visualization. It really helps.

Nyasalicious Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 9

Welcome and hope you have safe cake trip.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 12:54am
post #9 of 9

How about buying a non slip mat and just using that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%