How To Mini Cakes

Baking By Justplainnuts Updated 21 Nov 2011 , 11:37am by Justplainnuts

Justplainnuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justplainnuts Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 11:07am
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

can someone tell me how to bake your cupcakes with straight side walls like these ones?

Thanks!!

6 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 7

Alternatively, you could bake a larger cake and, using a tin can with both ends cut out (a niblets corn can might be just the right size), cut them out. If you're going to try it for a lark I'd go with the cut outs rather than buy a pan you might not use again. By most accounts they're a PITA to decorate. If you wanted to try doing them as layers you could bake a jelly roll sheet, do the cut outs and stack and fill them. HTH

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 7

Those are adorable! I've made these type items (buttercream, though, not fondant). I have a twelve-cup straight-sided pan. But hardly use it anymore. If you need quantity, bake sheet cakes and use a round cookie cutter. It helps to refrigerate or freeze before cutting.

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 7

...and then you could use your offcuts to make cake balls/cake pops icon_smile.gif No wastage and no overcooked edges either!

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 7

I was interested in buying the mini cake pan set until I saw the price!!! $65.00 @ GSA for the 3" 12 mini cake set! I can not afford that just to experiment. I have some 2" & 3" round cakes pans I will play with instead. Baking a larger cake and cutting out circles with a cutter is a great idea also. Never even thought of that one!! I always make cakeballs out of the leftover cake...no waste here!!

Justplainnuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justplainnuts Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 11:37am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the replies guys. Those are great ideas! Especially making cake balls with the leftovers. I haven't tried that either so it's a great excuse.

I'm attending a decorating class at the moment and the teacher told us we could save up fruit tins/ tuna tins, line them and bake the cakes in them. I need to collect a few but in the meantime cutting the cake out sounds like a plan.

Cheers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%