Fondant Over Ganache, Looks Wet

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 20 Nov 2011 , 4:07am by cutiepiecupcake

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 6

I just covered a ganache iced cake with fondant. I think I rolled the fondant a little too thin, because this hasn't happened before. I couldn't smooth the fondant very well because the smoother kept sticking, and now the fondant looks wet. What should I do. I have a fan on it, will that help, or is it doomed for failure. Any Ideas?

5 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 6

Was the cake cold when you covered it in fondant? I can imagine condensation doing that.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 6

Did you refrigerate your ganached cake prior to covering with fondant?

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 6

What was your ratio of cream to chocolate? There are different ratios to make a more solid ganache for covering cakes with fondant.. then there is another ratio for what is called 'pouring ganache'.. pouring ganache is used if you only want to cover the cake in ganache alone.. is usually used for dessert style cakes. If you used a higher ratio of cream to chocolate this is considered a pouring ganache and it will most definitely fail when you try to cover it with fondant. HTH

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone, I think the cake is o.k. I put a fan on it and it dried. Yes I did refrigerate the ganache covered cake, I always do. I think I rolled the fondant too thin, and I used a pastry brush to wet the ganache a bit before laying on the fondant, and maybe I got it too wet. It dried, and looks o.k. I couldn't get it as smooth as I would have liked, was ready to tear it off and start over, but once I got everything on, it looked o.k. its in my pictures if you want to see.

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 4:07am
post #6 of 6

ah haa.. that cake is too cute icon_smile.gif And look at that.. nothing to sweat over.. it turned out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%