Had My First Near Disaster Last Night.

Decorating By pmarks0 Updated 22 Nov 2011 , 4:59pm by pmarks0

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 6

I had been testing recipes and brought in the extra cupcakes to the office on Monday. This lead to someone at the office asking for cupcakes for today. I think she asked me on Tuesday for Friday. Considering I do this on the side, it makes for a late evening when I have a weekday order.

In any case, it was a simple order - 12 chocolate with chocolate swirl and 12 vanilla with vanilla swirl.

I had been testing FromScratchSFs vanilla cake she'd posted on her blog on the weekend and it was fantastic and that was the recipe I was using. I was going to use the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake which I've made many times. And SMBC for both with ganache folded in for the chocolate version. Easy peasy.

I made the vanilla batter and noticed the texture was off but didn't know why. I thought maybe it was because i was using yolks this time rather than the whites. Baked them and they came out stodgy and just plain nasty. Meanwhile I had mixed up the chocolate batter and had it ready to go in the oven when the vanilla came out. Midway through the baking of them I suddenly realized I hadn't put sugar in the chocolate batter. At this point it's about 10:30-11pm but obviously I had to redo them. As I'm measuring out everything it dawned on me I had forgotten the sugar in the vanilla batter as well! That was why it didn't look right. Needless to say I was up until 2am re-baking both sets of cupcakes.

I think I got the egg whites too hot when I was making the SMBC because at one point I was thinking this wasn't going to work either as I looked at a bowl of "cottage cheese". However, leaving it on low and letting it go, it eventhally came together.

And to add insult to injury, I had made the ganache first thing when I got home. And I've made it many times before as well. However for some reason this time, the chocolate wasn't fully melted and I ended up with bits of hard chocolate. So I had to scoop around them to get what I needed to fold into the SMBC.

In all of my years of baking I have never had this many problems making something, never forgotten to put in sugar and never in two different recipes on the same night!

Thankfully it all worked out in the end.

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 6

Don't you just hate it when *nothing* goes right? So sorry you have such a late night. I'm sure it will help in the future to be more careful when making up your recipes icon_smile.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 6

Isn't it always the easy things that go wrong??! ; )

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 12:00am
post #4 of 6

Sorry you hate a tough night. Sometimes working tired is a recipe for diaster cause you are rushing so you can sleep and already feeling a little foggy. I think may of us have been there.
I hope your co-worker really appreciated those cuppies.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 1:08am
post #5 of 6

Don't feel bad, this so happens to EVERYONE at least once! icon_wink.gif

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone. I wasn't getting notifications there were replies. In the end, everything worked out fine. The cupcakes turned out well, and she liked them too. I'm just glad I caught the problem early on. LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%