Fat Daddio's Topsy Turvy Cake Pans

Decorating By CooCooBoody Updated 14 Mar 2014 , 6:18pm by serenity1960

CooCooBoody Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CooCooBoody Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 17

Im a little confussed icon_confused.gif on how to use these pans. First time using them and very new to this wonderful world of learning how to create & decorate tier cakes. Do I have to cut into each tier cake (like the youtube videos I have seen on how to make a Topsy Turvy/Madd Hatter Cake) or can I just bake, decorate & stack to create a Topsy Turvy 3 tier cake (6,8,10) and how would I go about on how to support and stablize each tier of this cake. Thanks for helping icon_smile.gif

16 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 17

I have the same type of pans, just a different brand. I do not carve into the cakes at all. I just level and stack them as they are. Support is important as always and I run a dowel through all the tiers to hold in place. So far never had a problem.

molly_36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
molly_36 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie-1221

I have the same type of pans, just a different brand. I do not carve into the cakes at all. I just level and stack them as they are. Support is important as always and I run a dowel through all the tiers to hold in place. So far never had a problem.

I'm confused also...level what? The dome that may happen while baking?

I bought the same pans but have never used them...and I'd like to but I'm a little intimidated by them.

melanie-1221 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 17

Yes, level the tops if necessary. They are great pans and make topsy turvy cakes VERY easy. icon_biggrin.gif

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 17

Does any1 have a pic of a cake made with these pans? Im curious to see what they would look like!

melanie-1221 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 17

The gothic wedding cake in my pics is made using 3 of the pans.

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 17

Hi melanie-1221, Your gothic wedding cake looks very good! What brand of topsy turvy pans did you buy and where did you get them? How many layers did you bake for each pan and what sizes are the pans? Also did your cakes bake evenly in the pans? Was one side undercooked? Any directions included with the pans? Sorry for so many questions and thanks.

melanie-1221 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy107

Hi melanie-1221, Your gothic wedding cake looks very good! What brand of topsy turvy pans did you buy and where did you get them? How many layers did you bake for each pan and what sizes are the pans? Also did your cakes bake evenly in the pans? Was one side undercooked? Any directions included with the pans? Sorry for so many questions and thanks.

Thanks!
Mine are made by petal craft. I bought them online from icing online for a little over $80.00 for the set of 4 ( 6 , 8, 10, 12 inch ) if i remember correctly. I just filled the pan within about an inch from the top and my tiers are just 1 single cake. The pans are quite deep. I used the bake even strips with the pans and so far I haven't had to level the cakes at all. They bake up perfectly even. I was concerned about the shallow side of the pan cooking too fast but I haven't had a problem yet. I don't recall any directions with the pans.

CooCooBoody Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CooCooBoody Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 8:20am
post #9 of 17

Hi Melanie-1221,

THANK YOU icon_biggrin.gif for letting me know how to use these pans and how to support the cake. I will be making a baby shower cake for my sister in law in 2 weeks. Wish me luck. I'll try to post a pic

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks melanie-1221. I saw them on-line. I think I am going to buy them. Did you use a doctored box mix or scratch recipe for your gothic cake?

CooCooBody please post a picture of your cake and your reviews of the pans.

Thank you both for your help.

melanie-1221 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 17

My gothic wedding cake was a scratch chocolate chiffon cake.

justkist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justkist Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 17

Ive been curious about these too! I see that you said you didnt have to level Melanie and that with the use of the strips you didnt find they baked unevenly either (my first two concerns) but my biggest concern has always been... the bottom of the pan isnt level (thats the whole point right!?!) so how does this thing sit in your oven?? In the oven is the bottom of the pan (the slanted top of the cake) parrallel to the ground and the opening of the pan (which will be the bottom of the cake) at an angle or is it the opposite (somehow)?

Since the two edges arent parrallel to each other they cant BOTH be!

(am i explaining myself ok or just rambling!!??) hahahah

melanie-1221 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 7:48pm
post #13 of 17

You can't see in in most of the pictures of these pans but they have a metal " stand" on the shallow side that lifts it up and makes it so that the pan sits level in the oven and not slanted. Not sure if I explained that very well but if you would like I could post a picture of the pan that shows the "stand".
So far ( I have used these 4 times ) with my bake even strips I have not had to level these cakes at all and they have come out great!

justkist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justkist Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 8:33pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie-1221

You can't see in in most of the pictures of these pans but they have a metal " stand" on the shallow side that lifts it up and makes it so that the pan sits level in the oven and not slanted. Not sure if I explained that very well but if you would like I could post a picture of the pan that shows the "stand".
So far ( I have used these 4 times ) with my bake even strips I have not had to level these cakes at all and they have come out great!

Ok thanks. THAT makes perfect sense! Youre right, the pics dont illustrate that very clearly (that I have seen anyways!)

So is the concensus that these are easier than cutting the slant yourself?

melanie-1221 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 10:15pm
post #15 of 17

I've never tried the cut and carve method, I bought these pans in hopes of making it easier to make a topsy turvy cake ( I was very intimidated by the carving method ) and I can't imagine anything being easier. icon_biggrin.gif

SunshineBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineBaker Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 8:50pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks Melanie. Thinking of getting a set of the Petal Craft myself. You have answered some of my questions. Hard for me to believe, though, that the tiers don't look short if used alone (although your gothic cake seems to look ok). Someone said one could use another single regular layer underneath, which I might consider trying.

serenity1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenity1960 Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 6:18pm
post #17 of 17

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%