Requirement For Home Kitchen.. Can't Find Old Posts

Business By aviles2005 Updated 21 Nov 2011 , 11:23pm by lilmissbakesalot

aviles2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aviles2005 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 7

I have been looking for older post that I had read before but am having no luck. I'm interested in turning my kitchen into a home base business. I know I need a 3 compartment sink and possibly a mop sink? Anyone know where I can find previous post about this. I live
in central PA and have seen post about my area before

6 replies
nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know about previous posts on here, but in my state, all the info you need regarding laws, requirements, licensing, etc. I found online on my state government's website.

Maybe google "PA food service rules/laws" and see what you can find out.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 7

The best thing you can do is call your local health department... they will have all of the specs and regulations for you.

If you need to go full commercial then you will need at the very basic level a 3 bay sink, a handwashing sink, a mop sink, a grease trap, and all commercial grade appliances. Your surfaces will have to be covered with approved materials as well.

If you don't have to go full commercial it will be different... I'd call the DHHS or DOA (not sure which handles food saftey in your state).

aviles2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aviles2005 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 7

I looked at the dept. of agriculture website and found all the requirement and the application. It didn't say anything about a 3 compartment sink. I will definitely call on Monday. But I am curious, why would I need to get my home kitchen in a commercial location? What would change it? Would it be because of the amount of orders coming in or Amount of cash coming in? I'm really curious now

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 12:34am
post #5 of 7

I am in NY and I had to build a completely seperate bakery in my basement. It was inspected by the Dept. of Health, (actually just got reinspected today for my yearly). Then I had to get my property switched from residential to commercial because I am selling my goods. Definitly make sure you dot your "i's" and cross your "t's" for the in home bakery.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 6:35am
post #6 of 7

And your house will probably be re-assessed as commercial. Mine just got it, so be prepared for a tax increase.

She meant if you have to have a full commercial kitchen, like an Applebee's. I had to do that. Some states let home kitchens have less requirements than a restaurant.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 7

Yes... that is what I meant... not your actual house... but some states require a completely separate and fully commercial grade kitchen and that would be something to inquire about. Seeing as how you have though and it looks like you would just need a completely separate home kicthen on your property that would be a moot point. Just make sure that you do everything listed out in the requirements and you should be fine. Good luck getting it all squared away... this is the necessary (but not-so-fun part). Congratulations on your new venture too!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%