Cake Balls: Wasting Chocolate/re-Heating Chocolate

Baking By Heatherly30 Updated 26 Nov 2011 , 8:45pm by cakeballsofi10

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 10

I just made some cake pops, but prepared too much chocolate. I now have about 1/2 cup of melted (but hardening) Mercken's chocolate. Is there any way to re-heat this and use it later, or do I just have to trash it? Any tips for guestimating how much to melt in the first place so I don't waste this much?

9 replies
Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 10

Warm it back up (easier to clean up) and pour it into a plastic container then refrigerate or even freeze it until you need some again!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 10

DO NOT REFRIGERATE YOUR EXTRA CHOCOLATE!!! Any moisture - like condensation - will ruin it. It will be fine in a closed container on a shelf for quite some time. You can reheat as many times as necessary.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 10

Just put it into a piping bag and repipe them into the disks, then you can remelt them with ease.

jgifford Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 10

Sorry, I got a little excited. It's ok to put melted chocolate in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes to harden it up, but don't store it there. I get mine in trays - like ice cube trays - so whatever I have left over, I pour directly back into the tray and put into a large zip loc bag.

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 10

EXCELLENT! So glad that won't be money down the drain! Thanks for your input. I'll either put it in a plastic container, or make discs as you all recommended.

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 10

I've never had any problem freezing chocolate, in any form. All you have to do is make sure it is completly thawed and all concensation is gone before you can use it. I freeze hershey kisses as well for kiss cookies that I make. Every now and then the chips can discolor (turns kinda powdery looking) but does not affect them when melted.

jgifford Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 10

Candy melts and almond bark tend to seize up and get crumbly with even a drop of water. I suppose if you made sure they were completely dry before melting, they might be ok but how many of us are that patient? icon_smile.gif

SomethingSweetByFlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SomethingSweetByFlo Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 9:00pm
post #9 of 10

Melt it down again and put in an air tight container. Leave it in room temperature, no need to refrigerate.

cakeballsofi10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeballsofi10 Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 10

I have always refridgerated my choc bark and have never had any problems with it. I don't even cover it and it works fine. Never thought of leaving it out for future use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%