Navy Blue Fondant Or Icing

Decorating By April6617 Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 10:27pm by lilmissbakesalot

April6617 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
April6617 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 14

What is the easiest way to make Navy Blue MMF or buttercream? Or should I just order premade Fondant? The last time I tried I had to use a ton of coloring and the fondant was too sticky to use and the icing cosistency was almost impossible to use. I am trying to make an Atlanta Braves baseball cap or sheet cake.

13 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 14

The only options I can think of are a boatload of navy blue powdered food coloring or airbrush.

I tried this once with the half white, half navy wedding cake in my gallery, using paste color, and as it got darker, it got more sticky as well. I didn't have near enough powdered navy coloring to get that much fondant a true navy, so I airbrushed that sucker.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 14

Yeah...I would mix royal blue airbrush and a touch of black to get navy blue...

April6617 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks! That was my next though, airbrush. Now to invest in a good airbrush machine, any recommendations??

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 14

Yeah..I have the kopykake airmaster..Had it now for 10 years and love it!!There are many different models and cheaper ones out there so it really depends..I bought the kopykakae because it was specifically for cake decorating and not crafting etc...

April6617 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 14

Thank you!!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 14

The easiest way... to mix blue, black, and a little bit of red pre colored fondant. makes a wonderful shade of navy and it doesn't get sticky on you at all. AND...no stained fingers! LOL

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 14

I got a beautiful navy blue fondant by starting with a medium gray and adding Americolor navy blue gel and powdered color until I got the shade I wanted. No sticky fondant.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 8:03pm
post #9 of 14

As strange as it sounds.....

Mix blue (as dark as you can get - either royal or navy blue Americolor), and a small amount of Orange - it will darken the blue.

~Chelle

April6617 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 14

hmmm interesting. I will have to try these, thanks everyone, I was very frustrated. icon_sad.gif

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 8:34pm
post #11 of 14

When in doubt, you can always search the web on how to mix paint colors - the principles are the same. I do it all the time - that's how I found the orange + blue information. I've also found some strange combos that I didn't think would turn out the way I read, and was pleasantly surprised. Of course, I can't remember any of them now, lol.

~Chelle

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 8:37pm
post #12 of 14

I bought a Badger airbrush because it's a reputable name that has been around for years. It was $240 at Michaels so I waited for a 50% coupon before getting it. I absolutely love it. I had a cheap one previously and it was a nightmare.

April6617 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 8:53pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelleb1974

When in doubt, you can always search the web on how to mix paint colors - the principles are the same. I do it all the time - that's how I found the orange + blue information. I've also found some strange combos that I didn't think would turn out the way I read, and was pleasantly surprised. Of course, I can't remember any of them now, lol.

~Chelle

LOL thanks so much Chelle....I had not thought of just paint color combinations.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 10:27pm
post #14 of 14

Orange is blue's complimentary color... when you mix them you get grey. If you blue is too bright, adding some orange will grey it up a bit and give you a more muted blue... vice versa with orange.

Green and red are complimentary and yellow and purple are as well... it works the same. It's not fool proof of course. Some colors are warm or cool and that will effect everything. A book on color theory would be a good read if you want to get good at mixing your colors, but not necessary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%